Author Topic: William Richardson 1828 reference  (Read 618 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Richardson 1828 reference
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
In my research on my local village history, I have come up with the mother of all brick walls!  The village is Dipton in County Durham which is the modern name for one large village which has absorbed the hamlets of Pontop, Collierley and Dipton.

One man who has links to much of the village history is William Richardson, possibly because he was an innkeeper and, in his day, everybody knew him.  The only physical reference I have is in an 1828 Directory where he is listed as innkeeper at The Swan.  That is an odd name for an inn in a village which has no large ponds, lakes or rivers nd the only stream plunges over a cataract then runs through a rocky gorge to a river a couple of miles away.  Nowhere along its course is it big enough for swans!

I have not been able to find any of the old men of the village who remembers the Swan so I must presume it closed or changed its name many years ago.  I have absolutely no other information on this man.  Can anyone suggest how I might find anything?  Many thanks.

Elliven

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Richardson 1828 reference
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Not much more information than you already have, but...
an advert in the Durham County Advertiser of 14 July 1827
 up for Auction
A house, two stables, two closes, with the appurtenances, known by the sign of the Swan, situate in Dipton aforesaid, in the occupation of William Richardson,  which is held under a lease from the late Richard Bonner Esq dated 4th July 1738, for 99 years, commencing 1st August 1738 under the yearly rent of £12. 10s
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
BY 1831 it was occupied by Jacob Watson.
Durham County Advertiser 28 January 1831
to be sold by auction
...the well accustomed public house known by the sign of The Swan, situated at Dipton aforesaid, together with the close adjoining, occupied by Jacob Watson.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JenB

Curiouser and curiouser!  This pub was advertised for sale (according to what you have sent me) at exactly the same time - to the day - as another pub in the village!  That one was due to bankruptcy and the landlord went to jail as a debtor.  I wonder if there was a connection?

I could not find William Richardson on the 1841 Census so I wonder if this pub was sold because he had died.