Author Topic: Whoever was Hannah Darrington - giving birth in the Workhouse in 1871?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Whoever was Hannah Darrington - giving birth in the Workhouse in 1871?
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I guess this counts as another of my "South Normanton Family Puzzles"! We touched on this issue on page 4 of our recent thread:

A niece and an orphan in South Normanton in 1881

Basically we were exploring the marriage between Doris Ball and Samuel Bernard Ball in South Normanton in 1934 and assessing whether they were related. It transpired that Doris' father was named John W D Ball. He was named as son to William Ball and Sarah Shawcroft in 1891. However the 1881 census showed him to be 9 year old boarder, John William Darrington, born in Nottingham (BASFORD 07B 129 S Quarter 1871)

I have now had sight of the actual birth record - hence the title of this thread. 
John was born on July 6th 1871 in the Union Workhouse, Basford, Nottingham. His mother's name was given as Hannah (no occupation listed). No father's name was entered.

Can I be sure this to be the correct JWD who became JWD Ball? Well, no but the crumbs of evidence, taken together, do become compelling.

The birth listed above is the only one which fits with the entry by William Ball in the 1881 census.
I haven't yet found an entry in the 1871 census for Hannah (when she would have been about 6 months pregnant). But, there was a John Darrington, widower and a collier, in residence at that Workhouse in 1871.

The 1861 census for Summercotes / Riddings  (RG9/2515 11 15) has three Darrington households -
 all heads born in Codnor - on the same page. John Darrington (23) has a wife Hannah (also 23); Benjamin Darrington has a daughter, Hannah, aged 11 years.

Alternatively, the 1851 census lists Thomas (labourer, born South Normanton 1810) and Ruth Darrington with a 4 year old Hannah

There are no obvious references to Hannah after 1871 although a marriage is noted for Hannah Darrington to William Worthington in the Belper Registration District (7B 1069) in the 4th quarter 1872

Any thoughts or comments of illumination would be welcome

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever was Hannah Darrington - giving birth in the Workhouse in 1871?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Just to help confirm or eliminate potential suspects... :)

Marriage at Riddings, Derbyshire. - 9th Nov 1872
William WORTINGTON, 28y, Widower, Collier, abode Somercotes.
Father = Henry Worthington, Labourer.
Hannah DARRINGTON, 23y, Spinster,  - - - , abode Somercotes.
Father = Benjamin Darrington, Deputy Bailiff.
William signed, Hannah made her mark X.
Witnesses  = John Battison & Lucy Darrington
~ ~ ~

A possible family are in Ripley in 1871 and transcribed as Dorrington.... although the father,  Benjamin's occupation doesn't quite fit.

ps
I had looked for John W D Ball and could see you had already worked it out.... we had arrived at the same conclusion  :D

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I've been in touch with and received a reply from Archives at Nottinghamshire County Council. They have very few surviving documents about inmates at Basford Workhouse in the 19th century. Similarly the infirmary records of the Basford Union don't start until 1895 - so that looks like a dead end

There is apparently a document: Basford Poor Law Union Guardians’ meetings minutes, 5 Apr 1870 – 1 Oct 1872 which might be available for scan and email.

Regards

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
It is a bit hit and miss with poor law records etc, I hope you get lucky.

I thought I would post this marriage if you don't already have the details.

Marriage at Selston, Nottinghamshire. - 21st May 1854 - after banns - James Footitt, curate.
William BALL, 21yrs, bachelor, Collier, abode Selston.
Father = Anthony Ball, collier.
Sarah SHAWCROFT, 22y, spinster, - - - -, abode Selston.
Father = John Shawcroft, collier.
Both X
Witnesses = Henry Peck? X & Mary Ann Ball X
~ ~ ~

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
That is useful. William Ball and Sarah Shawcroft named their first born son, Anthony.

Now then, can I really get carried away on a flight of fancy?
Looking for a William Ball living with an Anthony Ball in the 1851 census gives this interesting household:
Codnor Park HO107/2125  384 15 Enumerator 53:

Thomas Powell aged 76
Anthony Ball son-in-law 48 b South Normanton
Hannah Ball daughter 46
William Ball g-son 18 Codnor Park
Anthony Ball g-son 15 Codnor Park
Mary Ball g-dau 12

AND!!!

Thomas Carrington Lodger 15  (D transcribed as a C perhaps!!)

If, and obviously it is a big if, this Anthony Ball ties in with the Ball families of around the turn of the 19th century it will also tie in with my own Ball family of interest. I have an Anthony Ball born around 1730!

I'll keep on looking

Alan