Author Topic: Union Workhouse, Basford - Records  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: Union Workhouse, Basford - Records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Rather than repeat the whole posting, this is the link to the main thread in the Derbyshire forum:

Whoever was Hannah Darrington - giving birth in the Workhouse in 1871

Basically we started looking for John William Darrington Ball (the name given on the 1891 census for South Normanton). He was with the same family (Willaim Ball and Sarah Shawcroft) in 1881 but was labelled "lodger" and without the Ball. One of his descendants married another Ball in 1934 and we were interested to know whether they were related.

In an intriguing new twist, we have now found a twig of the Ball family in South Derbyshire aligned with a family called Carrington (with an earlier marriage in the Basford registration district). It seems the more I untangle one end of the thread, the other end gets tangled up again!!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
btw: I received a quote from Nottinghamnshire Archives today for a copy of the Guardians' meetings minutes, as follows:

SO/PU/B/1/1/18 - ‘Basford Poor Law Union Guardians’ meetings minutes, 5 Apr 1870 – 1 Oct 1872’ is a large volume consisting of 205 double-sided pages. Due to the large number of images, these would have to be supplied on CD.

Images on cd:
Cost of images = £410.00 (VAT inclusive)
Postage and handling = £3.00
Total = £413.00

Won't be taking that route any time soon!

As there is no guarantee that the Darringtons will actually be mentioned in the minutes, I'll see whether the Research Service could do a "read through" for me

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alan  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk