Author Topic: WhatsApp  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
WhatsApp
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Regarding WhatsApp; can it be downloaded to a laptop or is it just for smart phones
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: WhatsApp
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
According to this site

WhatsApp is now available on the web via the Chrome browser, and in a tablet app, meaning it's possible to simultaneously access your WhatsApp account on your phone, tablet, laptop and PC without a hack. Here's how to get WhatsApp on your phone, tablet, laptop AND your PC, all at once.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-use-whatsapp-on-web-tablet-ios-3595015/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I gather that you can download   PC/iMac versions but I only use it on my phone.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
It looks like you need to have Whatsapp  installed and an account set up on your phone before you can install or use the PC or Mac Versions on the computers
WhatsApp desktop app and WhatsApp Web are computer based extensions of the WhatsApp account on your phone. The messages you send and receive are fully synced between your phone and your computer, and you can see all messages on both devices. Any action you take on the phone will apply to WhatsApp on your computer and vice versa.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Reading further, I think you are right Falkyrn - to get it on my iPad I need to use my iPhone to pair the devices. Which is obvious really now I think about it as you need a phone number!  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I think they need a phone number so they can harvest your contact list  ::)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Yep you need it on your phone first.
Then download the app to your pc.

Open the app on your pc and it walks you through connecting you to your phone WhatsApp acct.

It’s very simple and easy to do, and yes you can have a conversation with your contacts that are your phone. 
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »

I have it on both the pc's that I use, I find it easier to use when on the computer, also the keyboard is bigger than on my phone.

I just downloaded the app from Whatsapp.com then scanned the qr code with my phone an bingo Whatsapp on the pc.  Your phone does have to be on and have an active connection.  Your contacts etc show up exactly as they are on your phone.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I've got it on my 'phone, but not been able to download to my laptop - well I did download it but I couldn't link it to my 'phone  ???