Author Topic: WhatsApp  (Read 1525 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: WhatsApp
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »

Once it's installed on your pc it should give you a code that you have to scan with your phone to link the two.

On your phone go to settings then look for the option for Whatsappweb, choose that and then scan the qr code on the pc with your phone, it should link the two
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I know it sounds silly but how do you scan with a 'phone?

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied; its beyond this silver surfer so I will forget all about WhatsApp

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I know it sounds silly but how do you scan with a 'phone?

The phone uses its camera as a scanner.  With WhatsApp you go into the settings and follow the instructions then you just hold up the phone to the pc screen so the qr code is within the scan area. You don’t have to do anything, the app does it all.

Of course the phone has to be a smart phone, not something you can do with old school mobiles.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Also, you have to reconnect every time you want to use it on your pc. If you close the app on the pc, the connection stops.

While I use WhatsApp every day, I am at home so my phone is usually next to me anyway. My daughter on the other hand is at work, therefore it’s more convenient and not so “obvious” having it on her work pc rather than her phone dinging with every message   ;)
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
It's a really useful thing to have on the phone, as calls and texts are free through it. I was able to call my sister when she was on holiday in Canada and it didn't cost anything.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
OK, I'll do that, although as I don't get that many WhatsApp messages, it's probably not going to be much use on my laptop.  The only people who send me WhatsApp messages and rarely, are one of my grandsons who is in Madrid at the moment and his sister who is in Melbourne.  Everyone else just texts me.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »

I have it on both the phone and pc, I use it a lot to communicate with my cousins overseas and have made calls to chat with the NZ cuz.  My daughter and son use it.  I also find the pc keyboard easier to use than the small one on the phone.

Thanks to all who replied; its beyond this silver surfer so I will forget all about WhatsApp

It's not all that hard to install once it has been dowloaded from the website and set up on the pc.  As mentioned the App does it all.  I managed to do it by myself and I am not the most tech savvy when it comes to this sort of thing.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
It's handy if they want to send photos etc....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.