Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56237 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Florence Nightingale
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 07:04 BST (UK) »
       As a young boy I was always led to believe that my grandmother Hepzibah Daykin/Hall was related to Florence Nightingale, something that I have always kept at the back of my mind even though I viewed such statements with a grain of salt.
       However I recently found that my mothers cousin while tracing the Flavell family history is of the opinion that there may be some probability behind the myth. Also the name Nightingale occurs as a middle name with several of my ancestors on the Daykin / Hall side of the family. And the Nightingale/Shore Family definately have Derbyshire connections. All facts which by themselves are meaningless as are many of the individual bits and pieces. Put together though they say to me that I should either prove or disprove it.
If anyone out there can help me to be able to brag or alternatively sit in a corner in embarresed silence please do so.
                                               Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 07:10 BST (UK) »
As an addendum to my post of a few moments ago the Nightingale link seems to be getting more complex yet more likely to be leading somewhere.
       One of my contacts, Dennis Flavell found a number of interesting NIGHTINGALE connectionsand has given permission to post them, as follows:

John    NIGHTINGALE = Mary Ellen HALL 1875 Duffield.
Sarah   NIGHTINGALE = Isaac JACKSON (one of D Flavells surnames) 1829 Crich
William NIGHTINGALE = Mary LOWE (one of D Flavells DBY names) 1696 Crich.
Ann DAKIN    = Simon HALL 1745 Sudbury.
Anna    DAKIN    = Thomas HALL 1700 Hope.
Anna    NIGHTINGALE = Joseph WESTWOOD (D Flavells) 1807 Duffield.

Most interestingly Mary NIGHTINGALE = Charles DAYKIN, 17 Feb.1834 at
Alfreton. With this marriage in mind I found the bapt.of Eliza DAKIN dau. of Charles and Mary for 10 July 1835 at Alfreton, a birth previous to the birth of Cornelius DAYKIN (also the child of Charles and Mary dated 1835 but at Birchwood)

Florence Nightingale SHORE  b. of Offley Bohun SHORE and Anna Maria ---,at Holy Trinity, Clifton, DBY, in 1866. This Clifton is near Ashbourne. This birth/bapt. to me shows a NIGHTINGALE / SHORE connection.

Jane SHORE = William DAKIN at Matlock about 1709/10. I think this is too far back in time to be a possibility, but!
Ann SHOREA (sic) = Thomas DAKIN  at St.Alkonds,Derby in 1834 (could be a SHORE).

Then a strong candidate is the following :

Thomas SHORE = Hannah PLATTS in 1808 at St.Peter, Derby.

Sarah SHORE of Thomas + Hannah b.1815 All Saints, Derby.
William SHORE of Thomas + Hannah b. 1820 All Saints, Derby.
Elizbeth SHORE of Thomas + Ann b 1822 All Sants,Derby.
John SHORE of Hannah SHORE (Could father Thomas have died by then?) b. 1826 at Heage, DBY ( 4 miles SW of Alfreton).

As I am very much a beginner at this game if anyone has knowledge of any of the above families please let’s follow the leads
                                          Denn

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn

I have Thomas Ralph Burrows married Florence Nightingale Chambers 2 Jul 1923. After marriage they lived in Beeston, Nottinghamshire where I live and I remember them fairly well.

She was born 31 May 1897.

I have the GRO reference number so I will send off for her certificate but I am also in touch with her son, M, who according to Family Tree Maker is my 1st cousin once removed. (I am useless at this, he is my grandads brothers son.) I will write to M (obviously still living so I won't give his name) and ask him what he knows about his mothers family if you would like me to. I am fairly sure they are from Derby/Ilkeston area as her birth was registered at Basford which covers the Notts/Derbys border.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:05 BST (UK) »
Denn

By the way where are your Hall family from as I have a Hall aswell.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale Shore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:14 BST (UK) »
Just to add the below (in case not known)  as I had seen the above name before.

From the Commonwealth War Graves site:-

Shore
Florence Nightingale
Rank/Title/Service Number: Sister
Unit/Force: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service
Place/Date of Birth: 
Place/Date of Death: 16/1/20
Place of Burial/Memorial: United Kingdom; Middlesex; Westminster  City Cemetery; (now Hanwell Cemetery) A. 6449
Remarks: Daughter of Offley Shore of Norton Hale, Derbyshire.  A kinswoman of Florence Nightingale she served nearly 5 years as a  Nursing Sister. CWGC

Stuart

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
many thanks and I will try to digest that info' and get back. In the meantime my Hall family originated from Nettleton in Wiltshire prior to moving north sometime between 1860-1880, They then appear at Woodhouse mill and Albert Hall married Matilda Daykin/dakin, it seems to be the Daykin family that have the Nightingale connecton.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
Denn

Hall is not related but the FN probably is.

Jane

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
        Just following up a post from a while ago, did you ever follow up that Nightingale lead from your somekind of cousin? I've chased a few blind alleys but without any luck.
                            Denn

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there
        Just as a follow up, I thought it would be nice to let everyone who has had input into this and a couple of other daykin threads that it did turn out tht Trevor and I are some kind of cousin - we both share the same 3rd g parents- Samuel Daykin and Mary walker.
         Many thanks to you all
                                                    Denn