Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56360 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
hi dennford
have you seen this site its got a few things on the nightingales
http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/
gig

Sorry Gig,

I must have missed this post but yes I have visited the Wirksworth site on many an occasion and have found much to help with my ancestors who mostly come from those parts. Unfortunately it didn't help with the Nightingale link.

Duckweed,
Gill and Shepperd are a couple of names that I don't think cropped up before but I shall have a look again.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:36 GMT (UK) »
You probably wouldn't see the names as they come in quite early.  The significant name is Gill.  The history of the Shores Gills Blythes and Brights are all part of a protestant pro parliamentarian movement.  The Shores unfortunately lost their estates when the bank they were part of went bust and they had to see Norton Estate to the industrialist Graves.  The Norton Estate now belongs to Sheffield Council apart from the house and is now called Graves Park.  The Meersbrook estate was sold off in bits and houses were built there but a portion which has Meersbrook house on and the Blythes house known as Bishops house was bought by Sheffield Council and is now Meersbrook Park. The house once was used as the Ruskin Museum but is now used by the park authorities.  This was the house that Florence visited. Our branch comes from the Gills and a brother of the branch that married into the Shores so its not direct line.  Our branch had the small manor of Jordanthorpe. The Richer Gills could not get a male heir so their estate, the Oakes  passed by marriage to the Bagshawes.   There is a site about the Nightingales and the Shores but I can't remember it now.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 November 07 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Duckweed,

That is great. it didn't help much as far as my family line is concerned but I know all those areas of Sheffield and never associated them with these families. A little background helps with the understanding of a place.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Found the site I was looking for. Hope it helps.  www.geocites.com/layedwyer/shore.htm

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
That seems to be the wrong link, it takes me to a web hosting site.

Denn

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Maybe if I give you the title you can try getting it by Google
'Shore Family of Norton Hall /Meersbrook including FN's family'
The persons whose geocite it is is Dwyer Laye.  It's a very detailed family tree of the Shores mentioning the Nightingales and other famous Shores.  It's an amazing site.  I do hope you reach it 

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 00:36 GMT (UK) »
That's strange, when I googled and went ther I had no trouble yet the site address is exaclly the same as you gave

http://www.geocities.com/layedwyer/shore.htm

or are my eyes deceiving me?

Denn

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Same link.  Don't know what happened there.  Did you find it interesting.  I found it fascinating.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
It's the http that is missing.

Yes it is most interesting. one name that crops up is Favell which is unusuall enough to be significant, My mothers first cousin is Flavell - a derivative of the same French name.

Denn