Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56245 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 22:36 GMT (UK) »
this is my thinking:~

Florence Nightingale was born in Florence 12 May 1820 to William Edward and Frances Nightingale
William & Frances were a wealthy couple and toured Europe for 2 years on honeymoon.
Florence had an elder sister Parthenope b. 1819 in Naples

In the summer the nightingale family were based at Lea Hurst Derbyshire and in the winter they were based at Embley in Hampshire

Florence & Parthenope were tuaght at home by their cambridge educated father

can we find the marriage of William Edward Nightingale & Frances can we find their parents by finding their bapt. reocrds and then subsequent siblings?
can we find Florence father William Edward cambridge records (these should be held Either at Cambridge or at the County Record office)
can we find the fmaily in the 1841 census and then follow them through to their subsequent deaths - they may be staying with other family relatives.
Parthenope Nightingale married Earl Verny and in doing so became Lady Verny they lived at Claydon House Bucks who were their children?

is this true?
Harry VERNEY Bt. 2nd [Parents] was born 1 8 Dec 1801 in London, Grosvenor Place, London. He died 12 Feb 1894. Harry married1 Eliza Hope  2 Frances Parthenope NIGHTINGALE on 23 Jun 1858 in East Wellow, Hampshire, England.
Frances Parthenope NIGHTINGALE [Parents] died 1890. She married 1 Harry VERNEY Bt. 2nd on 23 Jun 1858 in East Wellow, Hampshire, England.

lots to explore which might lead you to a connection.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Denn

I have a Dorothy Dakin bc 1703 at Duffield.  Married Joseph Robinson on 3rd Jan 1723 at Duffield.  Thats all I know of them. Don't think there is a connection to your Dakins would be nice to think theres a Florence Nightingale link.
This year during our visit to our daughters in Istanbul we visited the Florence Nightingale Museum saw her room at the hospital she worked. It's now an Army Base so security is very tight.  Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Regards Pam
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I've found some more Shores in my family who came in more recently and am trying to find if they are connected to the Shores at Norton.  These Shores are mainly around Wickersley and were Quarry owners and Masons and I believe some owned pits.  They seem to have had financial difficulties the same time the Norton Shores had when the bank collapsed but that could just be a coincidence.  It's intriguing.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 November 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if you realise that "William Edward Nightingale" was actually born
"William Edward Shore", he assumed the name of Nightinghale on the death of
his Maternal Uncle Peter Nightingale, whose money he inherited.

There is also a book "Chantry Land" by Harold Armitage, first published 1910

Latest reprint was 1998 ISBN 0 906787 07 06, THIS edition has a few extra chapters.
Lots of Info on Norton, Shores other families and villages South Sheffield and North
Derbyshire.
Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 November 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have a copy of the 1910 Chantrey Land.  If anyone wishes I will look up information
Regards Pam
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jamlinz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am new to this site, but I came accross this post whilst searching for my family history on the shore family, my GGGG Grandad Matthew Shore. After doing lots of research I keep coming back to "The Shore Family of Norton Hall" which seems to have connections with this post. If anyone can help me or I can help them please get in touch.

Linz

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to write the history of Meersbrook Hall which used to be in Norton but don't know where a Matthew fits with the Shores there. I have a Samuel Shore whose father was also Samuel Shore.  Tell me what you know and I'll try looking up for you. 

Offline jamlinz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 August 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into this further and dont think its related at all!! I have gone back to 1785 with matthew shore, born in huddersfield, not Sheffield!! We do have samuels, but I dont think they are connected to this post!

Thanks though

Linz

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 August 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
There is a connection with Huddersfield for the Wickersley Shores who were quarry masters.