Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56361 times)

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 28 August 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Linz

re Personal message.

Go to my Post (the  one of me mentioning offer of info via personal message.

At the left hand side under Jacques etc you will see a green scroll, hover your curser over this.
A little box should come up saying "Personal message"
Click on this and type away.

Then I will  get back to you.

Pam
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 28 August 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
I have it the other way round William was father to Samuel and William Edward, Offrey was son of Samuel Junior and inherited Norton estate before father died as father moved into Meersbrook Hall. Both Samuels and Offrey lived in Norton. No William lived there. The Estate was partly sold in 1850 and the rest by Offleys son in 1896.

http://www.gravesparksheffield.info/?page_id=34

http://www.offleysociety.co.uk/nl_50.htm

http://www.oocities.com/layedwyer/norton.htm

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 28 August 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Duckweed,

The sites you quote do not mention  a William Shore, they all deal with Samuel Shore = Urith Offley, and
their children.

The William Shore = Mary Evans only had 3 children per source document bpt. records these are:-
William Edward = Frances Smith of Pardon Essex
Mary = Samuel Smith of Pardon Essex
Ann who died aged 3.

The Line I have is,  I have only included your Samuel and my William, there were lots of other children in all branches:-

John Shore of Dronfield = Sarah Sims they had
Samuel = Jane Sykes  they had
Samuel (of Sheffield & Broadfield Park obtained C1748) = Mary Diggles  they had
Samuel eldest surviving son = Urith Offley and Lydia Flower (this line is the Norton & Meerbrook)
William 3rd surviving son = Mary Evans (this line is the Nightingale)

Think we are going to have to AGREE to DISAGREE.
Regards
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 28 August 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
I think I know where the problem lies. Some family trees have mixed up the 2 Samuel Shores who owned Norton with the much further back Samuel Shore who was from Tapton. There are 3 Samuels and some trees have tried to make them into 2 or even 1. The Tapton Shores although closely related did not live or do business in Sheffield. I have seen several trees that claim William was a banker in Sheffield. I've been to the Nightingale Mill at Carver. I believe they also had an involvement in mining. I've seen no evidence of banking. I do believe people have got confused.    Its not surprising I have too.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thelamp/gene/NIGHTINGALEwilliamedward.htm

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 28 August 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Source document  re William Shore (1752-1822) of Tapton being a Banker:-

House of Lords Sessional Papers

An account of the Number of Licences for issuing Bank Notes payable on Demand,
granted in earch Year, from the year beginning 5th January 1797 to Year ending
5th January 1813; distinguishing in each year the Licences renewed from those granted
the First time

Hugh Parker of Woodthorpe Nr. Sheffield  )
William Shore of Tapton Nr. Sheffield         }   Sheffield Bank                     Renewed
John Shore the Younger of Sheffield          )
Ralph Blakelock of Sheffield                       )

Further evidence that William Shore was the brother of Samuel Shore, is contained in the Will of
Thomas Diggles of Manchester, uncle to Mary Diggles = Samuel Shore.  Thomas Diggles, leaves
the children of Samuel = Mary various amounts of Money.
Samuel got £100
William got £1000

I do not know what other source documents I have will take a look.
Spendlove

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 28 August 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Well that works out doesn't it? Samuel has sons William and Samuel. William has William E, Samuel has son Samuel junior as he is called in records and John I think?

Thanks for the bank details as that hasn't come in my archive searches. They must not have been in same bank though as no mention of the Nightingales going under. The suggestion was they were to be asked for help.

There used to be Nightingales as scythesmith/landowners in Norton in elisabethan times, wonder if same family. 

What I really would like to know is which Shore bought land in Norton Lees from Samuel Blythe. It says in Chantry Land that William did. Not sure why he would as other land nearby was bought by Samuel Shore junior and it was definitely part of the Offley Shore estates being sold in 1850, although doesn't seem to have reached its reserve at the time and was sold to Sheffield Corporation in 1890s together with Meersbrook Hall. The deeds have gone missing but am hoping that ownership was registered when the land was sold by Samuel Blythes sons to the Shores.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Duckweek,
Samuel has sons William and Samuel. William has William E, Samuel has son Samuel junior as he is called in records and John I think?

Your comment above is correct.

However the William who is said to have purchased land in 1753 from Benjamin Blythe cannot have been
William son of Samuel Shore = Mary Diggles (brother of Samuel = Urith) as he would be only abt 1 year old bpt. 1752.  Have you searched enclosure records, tithe records for Norton Lees?

Also I would think that by the time "The Bank" went bust, William Edward shaw/Nightingale born 1794
had probably long given up any interest in Banks. 

What was the actual name of the Bank who went bust? who were the partners? Have you searched
London Newspapers for reports on the decline of this Bank. 

Spendlove

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 30 August 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
It was a Sheffield Bank. I know that one partner was a John Parker of Norton Lees,  I will have to look up my notes to tell you exact details.  Much of the paperwork of Norton Estate regarding Meersbrook House and Bishops House has gone missing believed destroyed. I am trying to piece what information I can about it. The council hold the present deeds of ownership. I don't know how far back they go. I have asked to see them supported by my local councillor. I am still awaiting a reply. I would love to write the story of the Shore bancruptcy as there appears to be some interesting documents in the archives that would help write it but at the moment I am concentrating on the ownership of Bishops House and its owners. I'm pretty sure Samuel Shore Junior bought it. I suppose I could ask the land registry if it was registered when the Shores bought it but it would be easier if the council would just let me see the deeds. Meersbrook house was supposively built by William Fairbanks of the family of surveyors. I think there  was an older house which he extended. It looks similar to the work he did at Tapton. I'm looking for his plans of the house to see if he mentions what he did and for whom.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Found it. The bank was called Parker Shore. There was another bank the Sheffield Bank which had Broadbent and Roebuck in it that collapsed but Parker Shore survived for some time after till the national economic crisis at the time caused a run on the bank and it folded. Must have had a huge impact in Sheffield at the time as the bank held a lot of small businesses mortgages. This was why Offley Shore was in such a state I think because he was an honest Christian man who started the bank to teach thrift to the ordinary person instead of drinking it all away. He didn't want to declare himself bancrupt because that would mean all the little savers would lose. I think he hoped he could sell off the estates and pay off his debtors but times were hard and no one was buying.