Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56239 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I offer the following info, because Joseph & Mary married in Duffield and were of that parish, I know this does not necessarily mean they were born there but given Joseph was a Nailor and you know that Mary was from  Crich and their first son John Bpt crich 1832 but born in Belper which follows tradition of child being Bpt in Mother’s Parish.  Then the names of his siblings appear to fit in with witnesses to his marriage and names he gives to his own children. Anyway hope you will consider:

John Nightingale = Mary Oldfield 26.20.1789
They had  Bpt:-

18.11.1798. William.  (Possible marriage witness)
13.9.1805. John
19.3.1807 JOSEPH
9.9.1810.  Ellen.             “.            “.           “
22.3.1812 Martha
There are other children born to this couple some who died young.

The above are from Ancestry who have the Bpt at St. Peter’s Belper, this is incorrect St Peter’s was not built until 1825.
They actually took place at St. John’s, Belper built abt 1250, no marriages took place at St Johns these would have been in Duffield.

If you do not have access to Ancestry you can usually access at a Library.

Let me know what you think
Regards
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ks196

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi Spendlove
Thank you very much for this information, I think it looks like the most likely, the family names are the same as those I already have and I do happen to know, or have been told that there was a William within the family that I have not yet come across. I cannot understand why I haven't managed to find this information previously. I suppose once you go the wrong way its hard to undo. I just knew after following the Richard as the father link, it didn't feel right to me. I didn't know about the  tradition of going to the mothers parish for the first baptism. I am most grateful for your help, I will go and investigate these findings. I have a short time left on my ancestry account before it expires thank fully I have a couple of weeks to explore. Once again thank you very much. I will let you know if I come across more information on the shore nightingale birth registrations. Once again thank you very much.
Kind Regards
Kath

Offline GCDen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 22 November 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
many thanks and I will try to digest that info' and get back. In the meantime my Hall family originated from Nettleton in Wiltshire prior to moving north sometime between 1860-1880, They then appear at Woodhouse mill and Albert Hall married Matilda Daykin/dakin, it seems to be the Daykin family that have the Nightingale connecton.

Hi, I came across your post when my daughter was researching our family history.. Interesting to read your post, as I notice there are several similarities with my own family..
I remember it being told, that there was a connection with Florence Nightingale,
on my paternal grandmothers side.. her name was Marguerita Hall… she too had relatives living in South Yorkshire in the areas you mention.
My father would often speak of aunt Epzibah and being an unusual name, is easily remembered..
So I wonder if you & I have a family connection?...

Regards
Graham Denton

Offline GCDen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
many thanks and I will try to digest that info' and get back. In the meantime my Hall family originated from Nettleton in Wiltshire prior to moving north sometime between 1860-1880, They then appear at Woodhouse mill and Albert Hall married Matilda Daykin/dakin, it seems to be the Daykin family that have the Nightingale connecton.

Hi, I came across your post when my daughter was researching our family history.. Interesting to read your post, as I notice there are several similarities with my own family..
I remember it being told, that there was a connection with Florence Nightingale,
on my paternal grandmothers side.. her name was Marguerita Hall… she too had relatives living in South Yorkshire in the areas you mention.
My father would often speak of aunt Epzibah and being an unusual name, is easily remembered..
So I wonder if you & I have a family connection?...

Regards
Graham Denton

Oops! Sorry...spelling correction should read, Margaretta Hall  aunt Hepzibah