Author Topic: Baptism 22 Sept. 1736 Darlington, Durham  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism 22 Sept. 1736 Darlington, Durham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tickettyboo, 

I had tried doing that in case I could get both baptisms up together but it did not work.  Sadly nowadays familysearch sometimes fails to deliver the same information at different attempts to search.  I still wonder if one of those records is wrongly transcribed

Could be or it may be that its something like the old IGI member submitted entries which, to my knowledge were not double keyed or checked as the main indexing system is?
That's just a guess though, based on no actual knowledge!
The only option would be to see the original register, the LDS has digitised them (but they are only available for general viewing at an FHC)

Boo

Boo

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
You are right about the submitted entries they were not checked and often dubious  ;D  I would definitely be looking at the original register if it was my query.  Sadly many of these centres have been closed to members of the public
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
You are right about the submitted entries they were not checked and often dubious  ;D  I would definitely be looking at the original register if it was my query.  Sadly many of these centres have been closed to members of the public

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I must have been lucky, I have used them in Canada, England and Scotland and just rung up prior to visiting the first time to ask if I may come and use the facilities and never had a problem. Not been to our local one for a while, but when the weather perks up again I'll be going and they always make me feel very welcome and help if I have a question.

Though to be honest I am usually the only (non church member) there, I think the advent of info being available on the web has meant that the centres weren't being used so much. I suppose it gets to the stage where its not worth staffing them with volunteers if no one uses them.

Boo

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I used to use my local one every week, it was available to anyone and was mostly non church members.  One week they announced they were closing for redecoration, it never reopened for the public  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk