Author Topic: Moray:CV NUMBERS AND UK MILITARY DATE AND FACTORY CODES  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moray:CV NUMBERS AND UK MILITARY DATE AND FACTORY CODES
« on: Wednesday 28 February 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
This is a very niche area and perhaps related to local history rather than family history.

My cousin, who is the curator of one of the Royal Navy museums, is trying to find details of a facility in Moray which may have produced radio valves during WW2. These were produced under military CV codings rather than the civilian valve type numbers.

I have attached the link below for anyone who wants to see the full context but does anyone know of such a factory/production facility in the area at that time.
It's a real shot in the dark that someone might know something but let's see what's out there.

I noticed this

X  MOV, Springvale, pre Oct 1951
Y  MOV, Moray, pre April 1945
YA Leigh Electronics, Havant

Seems to suggest there was a Marconi Osram Valves plant in Moray, never heard on one.

https://mullard.org/blogs/news/83886851-cv-numbers-and-uk-military-date-and-factory-codes

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moray:CV NUMBERS AND UK MILITARY DATE AND FACTORY CODES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
This post caught my eye because my mother was involved in radar valve manufacture in Oldham during WW2. Marconi's archive is at the Bodleian, I've discovered:
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/modern/marconi/marconi.html
There might be assistance there for you.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moray:CV NUMBERS AND UK MILITARY DATE AND FACTORY CODES
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Graham, I've passed that on and hopefully will help to clarify things