Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 7157 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macleod of Stornaway
« on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows which resources I can use i.e. census/electoral rolls etc to help me find Alexander Macleod who lived at 5 Henderson's buildings Bayhead Street Stornaway. He is named as the father of our grandmother. We know that he did not marry Henrietta so at a loss to know who he is/age/parents etc.
Thanks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you have  dates for him  as that is not an uncommon name in Stornoway.

Gadget

Add - or Henrietta's dates/surname, etc. Anything really.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
The valuation roll on SP might have something. I'll check for you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
All I have to go on is Donaldina MacKay Macleod b 19th Nov 1911 Mother Henrietta MacKay 8 Pringles Court Cromwell Street Stornaway Fishworker  Father Alexander Macleod 5 Henderson's Buildings Bayhead Street Stornaway General Labourer

Henrietta  was born 6th Feb 1895 at Stag Rd Stonaway Dau of Donald Mackay & Henrietta Murray. That would make her about 16 at time of Donaldina's birth. She was a herring girl and followed the boats to Hull where she eventually settled.

Donaldina told us that she was illegitimate.

I am afraid that is as much as I know about Alexander although I have traced Donaldina's family back as far as is possible. Thank you so much.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Re the Valuation Rolls. The only one that I've found living on Bayhead Street so far is in 1915. Listed as a seaman. A tenant. I think the address is 52 Bayhead. It's a multioccupied house that seems to be tenanted by seamen.

Not sure if this is him or not. Have you checked the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses?

Gadget

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I looked at all the census' but as you said it is a common name. I went through a process of narrowing down by possible ages etc but didn't know which one to pick :(

I thought if I could find one living at that address I might be on to something. I would dearly love to find him as it seems part of Dolly is missing. Thanks Gaynor

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Bayhead is quite a long road that runs up the quayside. Unfortunately, I can't get it by Street on SP for 1911 and other sites don't have the Scottish 1911  :(

Link to map https://tinyurl.com/y88b5zen

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I know it's a long shot but I don't have much to go on and it is so frustrating as he is within touching distance  :-[

Do they have electoral rolls in Stornaway. We have to do one every year but not too sure wether it is the same in Scotland or if so when they begin.

How old is the Alexander you found?
Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out that the 1911 census for Lewis & Harris has been done. The only problem is that neither Henderson's Buildings or Bayhead Street is showing. Would there be another name in Gaelic for instance. ???