Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't give ages on the Valuation Rolls. Also, as he was a fisherman, he could have moved around.

I'll look some more but, could I just say that I've searched for one of my great grandfathers for over 60 years and have still not found him  :-\

I think the Gaelic is Ceann a Bhaigh but it's not listed on the FindMyPast 1901.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
The Kirk Sessions Records might have something but these are not online for Stornoway as far as I can see. They are available at the larger records centres in Scotland.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will look for that.

One thing I do know for certain that the Mackays were members of the Free Church of Scotland. Dolly told me that one of her Aunts was an elder (?) quite high up and when she died they carried her across to the burial ground.

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
The nearest to that is Ceannacaraidh also there is one that says Bay and another that says Bayfield, Kenneth, Church St etc are all there which seems strange as they are all in English. Found Pringles Court too which is where Dolly was born so might see if I can get a copy of that.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at the 25 ins to the mile OS maps on the NLS site but no Henderson's Buildings on Bayhead

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Having problems with the 1911 for Stornoway  - never had a 'no results' ever before for any name, any age  - * in selections

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Sorry I have been offline we are having a new router installed but it is playing me up suppose to be super efficient but worse than the old one!!!!

I'm reading Henderson's Buildings but I might be wrong, if not that's weird them not being there on 1911 census
Regards Pam??

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Just did a google search for Bayhead Street to see if it had changed it's name but I found Henderson Garage on Bayhead St Goes back to stables etc Could this be it? ???
Regards Pam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I saw a Henderson's Garage on something I found but can't see it in my history of searches  :-\

Henderson's Buildings suggest a tenement or the extension in the back close. I didn't find them in the Valuation Rolls but that was searched by name. I'll see if I can find anything on the earlier Rolls later this evening.

Gadget