Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 7134 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

He he me too. My father was a Jones from Shropshire. His Uncles were named after famous people so no problems finding them. For instance  Baden Powell Jones etc He was from a poor family so why on earth his grandmother came them all fancy names I don't know. My Dad was Albert Charles Louis Jones. Mind you it makes finding them easier.

Well found Jemima but sadly she never married as she died aged 13 of end of her line. I'm goingto see if I canfind out where she is buried. Might be a family gravestone if I'm lucky.

Kind regards Pam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Where in Shropshire  :o

Have you looked for any of the other children?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Wellington. I have gone back about 5 generations as they all stayed in same place and were butchers. They married into the Dolphin family who also were butchers. Joseph & Sarah Dolphin were cheesemakers and it is their son William who became a butcher (probably apprenticed to one of Sarah's brothers)

The one I am struggling with is Betsy Carylye (she married Willam) I have her down as born in Carlisle and her is James (worked on Railways as a Guard) but he keeps saying he is born in Scotland aagh!!
Pam

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Just done a new post asking for info regarding Jemima's burial & also if anyone else is doing this family  you never know.
Pam

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 24 March 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Gadget

Was up your way yesterday at Byker. Had a lovely Burger near the quayside...and fries!!

The naming link you sent me was interesting but here's a strange one. On the 1911 census Christiana has Alexander 18 (ours) & two others Christina & Jemima. She says she has 10 children all still alive. Never thought to look at next page but when I did she has another son aged 10 called...Alexander Is that normal practice?

Still trying to find family in the 1901 to see other children.

Also Alexander (18) is missing cannot find a death/emigration etc I wonder what happened to him?
Today I am going through all the Alexander marriages/deaths/emigration etc again to see if I can patch it all together. Wish me luck!!
Pam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I saw the 10 year old Alexander on the next page. It's not unusual for children to be named the same. but he seems to be added on after Christina, aged 9. Just wondering if he might have been a grandson but no proof.
Have looked off and on for them on the 1901 but they must have been really badly mistranscribed or gone walkabout or missed off or changed their names.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I know cannot find them anywhere on the 1901 despite putting n corruptions of name etc. Nobody seems to know about them either. There are a couple of trees on Ancestry showing Christina "Mary" marrying Alexander Macleod but no children/census's etc shown. Maybe that's why she's called Mary on the wedding certificate. Ohhh just had a thought maybe she's Mary on the census why didn't I think of that earlier
Off again to search for Mary !!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I think I checked for Mary. 

What children did they have on the 1891?

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
One step ahead of me  :) I haven't found them on that yet still searching 1901 ::)
Pam