Author Topic: Liverpool Electoral Registers - Successes  (Read 491 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Liverpool Electoral Registers - Successes
« on: Wednesday 28 February 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I've been going through the electoral registers recently added on Ancestry.

They have helped me correct a few things, like which of the two Doreens born in the same quarter of 1913 was in which family, and tie in an adopted child.

A couple of things to note:
  • The 1920 register is the first to feature those women who had just been enfranchised.
  • The 1929 register is the first to feature all women over 21, but there are definitely omissions.
  • The 1945 register is in two parts, with the second part mostly containing servicemen returning after the war.
    This makes it possible to work out, for the most part, who had enlisted.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Electoral Registers - Successes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I was surprised to see people living in cellars and courts in the 1880s on the lists it's helped to back up my estimated year of arrival of one of my Irish lines that came to Liverpool. It's also helped to squash a myth that someone died young it looks like she divorced and remarried instead funny how information can turn out wrong.

Blue

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Electoral Registers - Successes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
These registers have helped to fill in some of the switches between surnames which was the custom of one of my families, making research even more difficult than usual.
A