Author Topic: Hannah Beardsall born c 1785 somewhere in Durham  (Read 700 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Hannah Beardsall born c 1785 somewhere in Durham
« on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Another brick in the wall!  I am trying to find her birth.

She married Thomas Simpson in 1814 in Rotherham, in 1841 she was in Lanchester, County Durham, born in County.

In 1851 she was in Benfieldside, Durham and says she was born in Benfieldside.

In 1861 I believe she and Thomas are in Moulton, Yorkshire and she says she was born in Heighington.

All of these census indicate she was born about 1785.

Thomas and Hannah baptised 3 sons George in 1814 (as George Beardsall), John in 1816 and William in 1819 in Sheffield, all of whom seem to have gone to Dundee to find wives.

If anyone can help me find any more information about Hannah or her husband Thomas I would be very grateful.

Gill
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Beardsall born c 1785 somewhere in Durham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
She married Thomas Simpson in 1814 in Rotherham, in 1841 she was in Lanchester, County Durham, born in County.

In 1851 she was in Benfieldside, Durham and says she was born in Benfieldside.

In 1861 I believe she and Thomas are in Moulton, Yorkshire and she says she was born in Heighington.

In 1841 they are in Benfieldside (parish of Lanchester)

I don't think its the same couple in 1861.

In 1851 Thomas states his birthplace is Northumberland, Bywell

The Thomas you refer to in 1861 states birthplace Dalton Yorkshire
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hannah is still in Benfieldside in 1861

RG 9 / 3731 / 63 / 36

Benfieldside

Hannah Simpson, head, widow, 76, Durham Shotley Bridge.

Burial, 1866,  Hannah Simpson aged 80, Benfieldside (from Durham Records Online)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thank you, too many Hannah Simpsons. :-(

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
What evidence do you have to connect the Hannah and Thomas who married in Rotherham in 1814 to the Hannah and Thomas, born in County Durham and Northumberland respectively, and living in Benfieldside in 1841?

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Good question.

I have evidence that oldest son George Simpson was the son of Hannah Beardsall from his christening record in Sheffield.  He consistently give age and place of birth that ties up with this baptism.  He is shown as the son of Hannah and Thomas Beardsal.
'George Beardall, Birth date 13 Sep 1814, Father's first name(s) Thomas, Mother's first name(s) Hannah Occupation Forgeman Residence Sheffield Place Sheffield Church Sheffield'

Hannah and Thomas Simpson then proceed to baptise his two brothers. 

John Simpson, Birth date: 13 Dec 1816;Baptism date: 12 Jan 1817;Father: Thomas;Mother: Hannah;Occupation: Forgeman;Residence: Sheffield;Church: Sheffield St Peter & St Paul William Simpson;Birth date: 04 Mar 1819;Baptism date: 21 Mar 1819;Father: Thomas;Mother: Hannah;Occupation: Forgeman;Residence: Sheffield;Church: Sheffield St Peter & St Paul (Cathedral)

I am assuming that the marriage in 1814 is the right one, but could be mistaken.

All three brothers arrive in Durham between 1841 and 1851 and I have therefore assumed, possibly wrongly that their parents arrive there too.

Willing to be proved wrong.

Gill

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
The reason I'm cautious about 'your' couple is that Durham Records Online show a marriage in 1806 between a Thomas Simpson and a Hannah Oley.

There is a baptism of a Hannah Oley in Lanchester District in 1787.

I haven't gone into this in any more detail, but this could equally well be the couple you've found in Benfieldside in 1841.

How do you know that Hannah Beardsall was born in 1785 - or are you basing that age on the census ages of Hannah Simpson?

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Good point, yes, I am basing the dob on those census so I may be 'barking up the wrong tree'

Which means that this may actually be Hannah's bp

Baptism: Hannah Beardsall;EVENT DATE:9 Feb 1786,PARISH;Kirkburton, All Hallows;FATHER;John Beardsal

Gill