Author Topic: Ran away to South America?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ran away to South America?
« on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
James Shorrock was born in Preston, Lancashire, England in 1872.  By 1901 he was married with children and working as a bank cashier. Unfortunately in 1907 he was declared bankcrupt  and by 1911 his wife is head of the family. James cannot be found on the UK 1911 census and the tale handed down through the generations since is that James went to start a new life in South America.

I have found a record on the incoming passenger list for a James Shorrock, accountant, born 1872, sailing from River Plate, South America, to Liverpool in 1931. This would seem to support the family tale but can find no subsequent records for him and so wondered if anyone had access to any South American records which may fill in the rest of his life?
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ran away to South America?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it'll help, but Familysearch has increasing amounts of South American data.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Is this him returning to South America?

James Shorrock
Age   59 born 1873
Occupation Accountant
Departure 16th January 1932
Departure   Liverpool
Destination port   Buenos Aires   Argentina
Ship name   Darro

His last address in the UK was 14, Osborne Street, Preston and his place of permanent abode was Argentina.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Groom that's a very interesting record and one I'd missed. It looks as though he returned to South America after his 1931 visit and then returned to the UK again in 1932.

Thanks GrahamSimons I hadn't thought of checking familysearch for South American records and  now that I have the reference to Argentina I have done just that. However no records for him came up!
Best wishes HL

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
When did he arrive in 1931 - as that shows he went back to Argentina in January 1932, so it may have been a visit of a few months?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Familysearch has  Wiki information on how to access BDM records from Argentina and what the records may or not contain.  Sorry, I am unable to provide the link.  But I just Googled "Argentina bdm".  I think there may be local geni agents who could search for you.  Best wishes, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Groom, I wasn't reading the second record correctly last night.....too tired!
He obviously arrived in Liverpool on October 9th and after a 3 month visit left on 16th January 1932.
Both records confirm he was resident in Argentina so family information was correct.

Thank you gazania, I found the page you mentioned and the necessary addresses for inquiries. I was hoping bmds were available online somewhere but not so obviously.
Best wishes HL