Author Topic: adoption agency in Knightsbridge (London)  (Read 270 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
adoption agency in Knightsbridge (London)
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot, but any information would be welcome. In the 1970s my mother worked at an adoption agency in Knightsbridge near Harrods. I remember distinctly going with her on a number of occasions when she would disappear inside a building and come out with a baby. My job, sitting in the back of the car, was to hold the baby while we then drove to somewhere else and handed it over to 'its parents'. Being very young I simply thought how nice it was to see how pleased the people were with their babies: I don't remember ever wondering where the babies had come from and I'm not even sure I knew what 'adoption' meant! I can't remember the name of the agency and I don't know what my mother's role was apart from this transportation of the babies. If anyone knows anything more I should be very interested. I should also like to add that I now feel deeply sad for the mothers of those children, many of whom may never have seen them again. A memory very much of its time!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: adoption agency in Knightsbridge (London)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look in "Where to find adoption records" by Georgina Stafford.

One entry stood out.

Listed as The Knightsbridge, but that's a colloquial name for the National Childrens Adoption Association. They operated from 1917-1978 at various addresses including 71 Knightsbridge.

I googled "National Childrens Adoption Association" and not surprisingly there were several hits.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adoption agency in Knightsbridge (London)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! Yes, it was 71 Knightsbridge! So now I know it definitely was the NCAA. Most grateful.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);