Author Topic: Desktop Genealogy programmes  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Desktop Genealogy programmes
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I just downloaded Ahnenblatt  genealogy programme.. it uses various languages, but I have it in English  - so thats fine.. and it seems ok so far.

anyone else using it?  Its a freebie  and it carries media files over from my  downloaded Ged from Ancestry ??

will see how it goes..

xin

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Genealogy programmes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I've just done a download and tried one of my GEDCOMs.

The first thing I noticed was that person number 1 in my file (and at the front) became number 1529 in the project. The people appear to have been sorted alphabetically. Unexpected, but not a problem.

Then I noticed that virtually all the facts about the chap had been ignored. Only one occupation, from before his marriage, for example.

The events it did keep (called Notes) and their sources were just presented in two separate lists, with no link between them. Keeping track of sources is an essential function. There were mentions of some events, but their dates (for baptism and burial, for instance), had been thrown away, and there did not seem to be any way of putting them back manually except as freeform text.

It did well interpreting dates, including those before the change of calendar.

So I reckon quite an interesting program, but limited. Worth a look if you need to keep costs down.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Genealogy programmes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes   it does seem to have some blips... it wont add my OH.. I wonder if that is a hint. :)  ha ha..

but one or two seemingly good points..

lots more practice needed.

xin

ps My german is improving -  ;D :o ::) ???