Author Topic: Marriage lookup Jan 1616/17, Lewes St Mary's Westout  (Read 738 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup Jan 1616/17, Lewes St Mary's Westout
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to these records, by any chance?

John Harte m. Mary Hughes of Ringmer, 20 Jan 1616/17, Lewes St Mary’s Westout. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1ZH-6?i=2375&cat=1112952
(As far as I can see, only available at LDS centres - which I hope to get to sometime later this month if nothing else turns up.)

Also, I can't find anything even close to her name or location, as baptism or likely siblings. So anything is welcome.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup Jan 1616/17, Lewes St Mary's Westout
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
According to the Sussex FHG the records of St. Mary the Virgin, Ringmer start at 1605 so it is unlikely that you will be able to confirm her baptism if that is where she was born, presumably around 1595 ish.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Also, I can't find anything even close to her name or location, as baptism or likely siblings. So anything is welcome.

17th century, but too late to be a sibling, there is a Thomas Hughes who witnesses the will of a Ringmer man in 1680. Clutching at straws maybe, but he could be the son or grandson of a sibling.

http://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_PBT_2_2_8_154
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Pheno and Stovepipe.

That's fine - I wasn't very hopeful, but thought that perhaps the marriage record might have more info.

I have done a bit of trawling through the Ringmer PRs, before discovering that they're also recently transcribed and indexed on FS!

That Thomas Hughes may well be related, as I don't think that there were a lot of them in the area.