Author Topic: Help needed to find more information Terrence Lynch on this deceased search  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi fellow Rootchatters!

Can you help?  I am trying to find out if the Terrence Lynch on this deceased search is my Great Great Grandfather.  The age compares with my Terrence Lynch.  If you can point me in the direction I need to look at or help me with any further information, I would appreciate it greatly! 
Thanks so much.   :)

https://web.ballaratcemeteries.com.au/Deceasedsearch/DeceasedDetails.aspx?PersonId=146745&LocationId=22189

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to find more information Terrence Lynch on this deceased search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you know his parent's names?

The VicBMD shows two deaths registered for a Terrence Lynch:

Father's name - Lynch James   
Mother's maiden name -Mary (Mcmanamny)   
Reg. year 1922   
Reg. no 7722

Father's name - Lynch Terence   
Mother's maiden name - Ellen (Mcnamara)   
Reg. year 1922   
Reg. no 7746

It may be that there is only one Terrence Lynch and there may have been some confusion over his parent's names, hence the two registrations? Someone more knowledgeable about Vic records may be able to help you further.

Do either of those sets of parents tally with Terrence's parents on his marriage certificate for example?

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON n้e JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
The one with parents Terence and Ellen is aged 81 and is buried at Ballarat with Margaret Lynch.

https://web.ballaratcemeteries.com.au/Deceasedsearch/DeceasedDetails.aspx?PersonId=7585&LocationId=64276

His obit I think, last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article176522579

Jamjar

ADDED: Margaret Lynch: 1918 11476 LYNCH Margt Father's name Quinn Laurence Mother's name Honora (Lynch) at Ballt Age75

The will for this Terence mentions his children: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01loa/
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
First of all, thanks so much for your help (again) JamJar and Ruskie.
This is the only information I have of Terence F Lynch.  He and his wife have been so difficult to trace.

Terence Francis Lynch was born in 1838 in Castlebar, Mayo, the son of James. He married Mary Barrett on 22 April 1867 in Mallow, Cork. Unsure of his place and date of death.

UK british army records (from find my past) confirm LYNCH Terrance (Francis) was born in 1838 in Castlebar, Mayo, Ireland.

1855 - 1873 • Fort William, Calcutta, India
Terence Francis Lynch served in the military in 1855 in India when he was 17 years old.
British Army > WO97 chelsea pensioners british army service records 1760-1913 Service No 4194 Results for British Army Service Records 1760-1915

Joined the British Army > He joined the army in 1855 at the age of 17 yrs and left when he was 35yrs old in 1873. 6 page discharge from the army. British Army, Worldwide Index 1861 Transcription First name(s) Terrance Last name Lynch Service number 4194

Terence Francis Lynch married Mary Barrett in Mallow, Cork, on 22 April 1867 when he was 29 years old.
(Father James - Butcher) (Mary's Father - Edward - Tailor)

Ireland Marriages 1845-1958 Transcription 1867 in Mallow, County Cork Ireland First name(s) Terence Francis Last name Lynch Registration year 1867 Registered Quarter/Year 1867 Registration district Mallow Volume 10 Page 289

Arrival - 13 Dec 1873 • Melbourne, Australia
This record has been transcribed as TT Lynch plus Mrs plus 3 children arriving on ship Ben Nevis from Calcutta

Separation
Terence Francis Lynch deserted his wife Mary twice leaving her and 4 children destitute - he supposedly returned to India. 2 children made wards of the state of vic in 1874 but only until 1875 when Mary took them back.

10 Nov 1874 • Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia
Victoria Police Gazette of 1 Dec 1874 description for Terence Francis Lynch desertion
Description of Terence Francis Lynch - Charged, on warrant with deserting his wife, at Emerald Hill, (Victoria, Australia) on 10th November 1874. Ref. O.6392

Separation 30 Jul 1877 • Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia
Terence Francis Lynch deserted his wife Mary twice leaving her and 4 children destitute - he supposedly returned to India. 2 children made wards of the state of vic in 1874 but only until 1875 when Mary took

Victoria Police Gazette of 1 Dec 1874 description for Terence Francis Lynch desertion
Description of Terence Francis Lynch - Charged, on warrant with deserting his wife, at Emerald Hill, (Victoria, Australia) on 10th November 1874. Ref. O.6392

25 Sep 1876 • Mentone, Victoria, Australia
Arrested for Wife Desertion - Arrested at Mentone Police Station

Separation again from Mary > 30 Jul 1877 • Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia

12 Jan 1878 • Emerald Hill , Victoria, Australia
Arrested for Wife Desertion
Arrested at Emerald Hill Police Station VIC.

Possibly Residence
Terence Francis Lynch lived in Cobram, Victoria, in 1906?
1906 ? • Cobram, Victoria, Australia ?

One other records sees Fremantle, Western Australia, Passenger Lists, 1897-1963
for Mr Lynch aged 79 (Irish) in about 1918 arriving in Freemantle, Western Australia.  (His son ernest Edwin (or Ernest edward Lynch) resided in WA not really knowing his parents it seems. 

Children> 
Birth of Son
His son Edward James (Timy or Timothy) was born on 15 January 1869 in West Bengal, India.

Edward James (Timy or Timothy) Lynch 1869–1905
15 Jan 1869 • Cawnpore, Bengal, India

Birth of Son
His son John Joseph was born on 23 July 1870 in Calcutta, West Bengal, India.

John Joseph Lynch 1870–1950
23 Jul 1870 • Calcutta, West Bengal, India

Birth of Daughter
His daughter Frances was born on 23 June 1872 in Calcutta, West Bengal, India.

Frances Lynch 1872–1945
23 Jun 1872 • Fort William, Calcutta, West Bengal, India

Birth of Son
His son Ernest Edwin was born in 1876 in Melbourne, Victoria.

Ernest Edwin Lynch 1876–1943
1876 • Emerald Hill, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
You seem to have his life pretty well mapped out Definos.  ;D

Might be worth purchasing the Vic d/c with father James?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi fellow Rootchatters!

Can you help?  I am trying to find out if the Terrence Lynch on this deceased search is my Great Great Grandfather.  The age compares with my Terrence Lynch.  If you can point me in the direction I need to look at or help me with any further information, I would appreciate it greatly! 
Thanks so much.   :)

https://web.ballaratcemeteries.com.au/Deceasedsearch/DeceasedDetails.aspx?PersonId=146745&LocationId=22189

Both people listed in your link show as inmates. Catherine Riddle alias Ruddle, aged 50 in 1910, is listed in the register of inmates of the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum resource here:
http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/research/ballarat-benevolent-asylum

I can't see a Terence Lynch but maybe contact the society?

M

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
If your man died in the Benevolent Asylum there may be no further identifying information on his death certificate even if the information was known to the staff.  Often if was a staff member or even at times, messengers or porters of institutions, who registered the deaths.  You may be lucky and find it may at least have his place of birth.

There was another Terrence/Terennce Francis LYNCH living in Ballarat at that time.

The link provided to records of the Benevolent Society only covers -
Ballarat Benevolent Asylum Registers of Inmates 1860-1897-98
Register of Inmates - Lying-In Wards 1892-3 - 1904-05

It is possible he was only a patient/resident for a short period prior to his death.  Would any information be made available for a person within a 100 years of their admission?

Good luck.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
There’s a will for the other Terence Lynch:

277/011

Terence F LYNCH Date of grant: 27 Feb 1936; Date of death: 27 Jan 1936; Occupation: Drover; Residence: Ballarat
PHYSICAL ITEM   Not yet digitised
DATE:1936
SERIES:Wills
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 7591/ P2  unit 971,  item 277/011

13103 1936 LYNCH Terence Francis parents LYNCH and Margt (Quinn) BALLARAT Age 63

Marriage: 3993 1871 LYNCH Terence to QUINN Margaret

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I may have missed it, but I can’t see the following birth in your list:

8954 1875 LYNCH Frederick parents Terence and Mary (Barrett) Place of birth EMER

6748 1875 LYNCH Frederick parents Terence and Mary (Barrett) EMER  Age 7 (days/mths)

Jamjar