Author Topic: John Hines Birth Brickwall help please.  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Hines Birth Brickwall help please.
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 03 March 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
John married Hannah Maher on 22nd May 1899 at Our Lady RC in Eldon Street (marriage index: Johanis Heim & Hannah Maher, Apr/May/Jun 1899, Liverpool, vol: 8b, page: 311) and they had two children, Jacob in 1899 (registered in 1900 as Jacob Henn) and Hannah (Hannah Heim) in 1901. John is probably at sea at the time of the 1901 Census then Hannah marries again in 1906 to James May, then again in 1907 to Robert Melvin, both marriages at St Nicholas CE Liverpool. In 1906 she says she is a widow. Can anyone find a death or burial record for her John? Did John leave his family never to return and went on to become better known as John "Barney" Hines?

Heim/Hines' 1878 RC baptism, 1899 RC marriage and Hannah's 1906 re-marriage can be viewed here:-

https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15927&start=20

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I've created a John Heim website to support the edits on the wiki page. My edits have been challenged in the past when I've cited forum discussions alone some people doubt the value of forums as evidence. The website provides evidence that John Heim was John Hines and gives information about his early life and background:-

http://johnheim.webs.com/

Blue

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blue70
You've achieved with that website, what I was hoping to do, once I got to the bottom of his early Liverpool Life. 

Well Done !

Alamo2008
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ALAMO2008. The Liverpool & SW Lancs forum has recently had an update and lost some images in the process the new link to that thread is below. The images I posted there are on the John Heim website anyway so just go there to view them:-

https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15927&sid=ecc3c90a6321fb6bc9aebcdad6c530d9

Blue

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant website Blue.  :)
Now can we find the missing years
between witnessing brother's wedding in Liverpool in 1901 and appearing in Australia. One prison record shows several convictions in NZ,  so did he jump ship there? One conviction was vagrancy, so didn't sound like he had a steady job there.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Last mention was a Liverpool crew list for "Majestic" when he failed to join, date given as 31 July 1901. The earlier criminal record has his first charge in Auckland, New Zealand in November 1904:-

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/index_image/2467_a006_a00603_6091000177r

South Africa is one of the places mentioned but if he played a part in the Boer War it wasn't as a British soldier. He was a merchant seaman c1899-1901 during the first part of the war so he might only have got involved informally during the later guerrilla phase of the war which ended in 1902. Unfortunately looking at online sources Hines himself is the source for a lot of information about his early years and as we know he was economical with the truth on a regular basis.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Someone doesn't like the changes to the wiki page and has reverted the changes, see the talk page:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:John_Hines_(Australian_soldier)

Blue

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 08 March 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blue70

Here is a link to the Weekly Magazine "Ireland's Own" that sparked my interest in "Barney " Hines over 4 years ago in 2014

https://imgur.com/a/6DpbF?
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ALAMO2008. Interesting read. He was certainly a character and I'm not going to scrutinise the bio of his later life. It's interesting how some articles pick up on the Irish background. He grew up in a predominantly Liverpool-Irish community and he had relations from an Irish background through marriage. I wonder what his accent was like.

Blue