Author Topic: James Pettigrew, officer in British Army, 1700s; of Scotland and Co. Down.  (Read 3270 times)

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
In an 1862 letter, Rev. William J. Pettigrew related a bit of his family history, the excerpt which follows. 

Rev. Pettigrew wrote, "My grandfather was a Scotchman (of Scotch parentage at least), an officer in the British Army.  His name was James Pettigrew.  He settled in County Down, at Drumraw, after his life of soldiering was ended.  My father, Robert, was his oldest son, and inherited his estate.  Eleven children, all sons, grew to manhood under his roof.  Of these, I am the ninth.

With our Scotch kin we kept up pretty constant intercourse.  My father's brothers, indeed, all returned to Scotland, and settled near Stranraer."

As Rev. Pettigrew was born 1824-25, I would hazard a guess that his grandfather's army service was in the mid-1700s or later.  He gave no other identifying info about his grandfather. 

How can I find information about the British Army service of his grandfather James?  James' surname might have been spelled Petticrew in Army records.

I want to trace this Pettigrew line back to Scotland, and hope that finding info about the grandfather James will help me to do so.

I assume the Drumraw mentioned is townland Drumra today, parish Drumbeg, Co. Down.  This townland was where Pettic/grews were located in the 1800s, including a Robert Pettycrew who was listed as a freeholder in 1813 and 1818.

Rev. Pettigrew emigrated to America in 1848, followed by his mother Elizabeth and three brothers in 1849.  If you want to know more about him, these two posts contain much:

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/pettigrew/1664/
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/pettigrew/1391/

Thanks for any help you can offer about officer James Pettigrew, or about the family of Rev. William J. Pettigrew in Co. Down.

To avoid confusion, please note there was another James Pettigrew, lieutenant and then captain in the British Army, who served in Canada, the American colonies, then Jamaica, successively before, during, and after the American Revolutionary War.  He was heir to Crilly House, Co. Tyrone, knighted for his army service, and died in Jamaica.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Pettigrew, officer in British Army, 1700s; of Scotland and Co. Down.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The Army List for 1778 includes a Lieutenant James Pettigrew serving in the 10th Regiment of Foot in America. Seniority date 28 June 1772.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  That is the "other" James Pettigrew, of Co. Tyrone, and not the grandfather James of Rev. Pettigrew.

Can you supply a source for these Army lists?  That is what I am unfamiliar with, the online sources of British Army records of the 1700s.

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Might these be relatives ?
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
PETTIGREW   Boardmills, 1st Pres   Killaney   Carrickmaddyroe   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Thomas Pettigrew of Drumrah in memory of his father John Pettigrew who died Oct 4th 1861 aged 88 years Also his son Thomas who died aged 4 years.

Gravestone Inscription   Erected by John Pettigrew of Drumrah to the memory of his son Isaac Pettigrew 1843 aged 23 years Also his beloved wife who departed this life 23rd January Agnes Pettigrew who departed this life 18th October 1846 aged 66 years.

Gravestone Inscription   Sacred to the memory of John Pettigrew, died 16th Nov 1893 aged 85 Also his wife Agnes Pettigrew, died 23rd Dec 1894 aged 83 Also his daughter Mary, died Nov 1860 aged 5.
Comment   [Polished Granite] The will of John Pettigrew, late of Carrickmaddyroe, county Down, retired Farmer, who died 16 November 1893 at same place, was proved at Belfast 17th January 1894 by David Pettigrew of Bresagh and-Matthew Dales of Drumra, both in said county, farmers, two of the executors Effects £475 15s 11d.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Can you supply a source for these Army lists?

I don't think many 18th century army lists are viewable online. Amongst the subscription sites:

The Genealogist has a collection of army lists from 1778 onwards
FindMyPast has 1787 and 1798
Family Relatives.com has 1798

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The only army officer named James Pettigrew mentioned in the Gazette in the 18th century (at least as far as their search engine can find  ) is the one in the 10th Regiment. He became Sir James Pettigrew in the 1780's and died in 1787.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
PETTICREW #
Inscription: (In modern granite enclosure). Erected to the memory of Robert Petticrew, Drumraw, who departed this life 2nd March 1849 aged 72 years. Also his son Robert who departed this life 27th December 1859 aged 58 years. Also his son

http://www.nifhs.org/category/boardmills-co-down-first-presbyterian/page/21/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies, and for scouting for records.   I feared there are no online sources to check for the army records I seek.  I can't do research in UK any other way.

Regarding the gravestone inscriptions offered, I don't have hard proof, but I believe the last inscription was for Rev. Pettigrew's father Robert of "Drumraw".  The age is right, and since this Robert died in early 1849 that could explain why Rev. Pettigrew's mother and brothers emigrated to America in November that same year, to join Rev. Pettigrew in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I don't know who the three John Pettigrews of the Boardmills inscriptions were.  Possibly the John who died 1893, aged 85, was another of the 11 sons of this same Robert. 

Recently, I was able to find one bit, that I think refers to Rev. Pettigrew in Ireland.  If this is his marriage notice, then his wife Anna died before he emigrated to America; Rev. Pettigrew then married in Pittsburgh.

The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Friday, September 12, 1845; Issue 11185.
MARRIAGES
On the 9th inst., at the Office of the District Registrar, Lisburn, the Rev. William John Pettigrew, Baptist Missionary, to Miss Anna Shaw, daughter of the late Rev. John Shaw, of Drumbo.

William John Pettigrew and Anna Shaw, civil registration:
SR District/Reg Area   Lisburn
Returns Year     1845
Returns Quarter    1
Returns Volume No    7
Returns Page No    71

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
The 1770 Military Register is online. The only James Pettigrew is one in the 10th Foot - page 43.

https://goo.gl/uMJjKF