Author Topic: Welsh Family Photo taken where?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Steeple1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Family Photo taken where?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
My gm, the baby at centre was bn 1870 and d 1959 and the photo was always on display while she was alive and I clearly remember being told it was her.

Presumably there can be a discrepancy between comparatively inexpensive hair fashion, and clothing which would have to last a long time. Or less likely, fashion tended to take time to travel – pointing to the photo having been taken in SCT?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The photo is all wrong for 1870 and it's my belief that the baby is more likely to be your Great Grandma and some confusion has led to misinformation. Your Grandma could have genuinely believed it was her as a baby. Some did wear dated clothes for the reason you have mentioned but not by over a decade, the hair, clothes and backdrop are all wrong for 1870 in my opinion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Agree with what's been said re the date.
Fashion periodicals travelled the Empire very quickly so no-one was more than a few months behind the trend.
Younger women were the most fashionable & I wouldn't expect to see these 2 wearing hair/clothes like this later than mid 1860's.
It was a cost free exercise to move hair from ears & the 7 hooped crinoline frame which is what happened mid decade. The Bell sleeve & Bertha on the one & the Brettelles of the other are an 1850's style that crossed over into the early 60's but by late 60's younger women would have considered this style old fashioned.
By 1870 there was a sea change in hair & dress styles & you won't see any woman dressed like this irrespective of their location or social standing.
So I would suggest a start date of 1858 as this is when CdeV's first appeared to around 1863/4.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Steeple1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank for your advice which I'm happy to take on board, even though it causes doubt as to who the others are. Now that the names assigned need revising, there are a couple of Private Trees on Ancestry which seem connected so I shall try asking them if they have ever seen the photo.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
You may also like to consider the possibilty that the child could be a boy.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes boys were dressed as girls until they were "Breeched",at about five years of age.
They were then dressed in trousers, about knee length.
Viktoria.

Offline Steeple1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
A possibility as the firstborn was Edward, bn.1861 and the balance of probabilities tends to point to a fuss being made about that child that may not have been repeated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
A possibility as the firstborn was Edward, bn.1861 and the balance of probabilities tends to point to a fuss being made about that child that may not have been repeated.

Sounds a good match.

Added - but it would be worth looking for cousins, etc. b.c. late 1850s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***