Author Topic: DNA - not sure what's going on  (Read 1181 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - not sure what's going on
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Another question!

Where it says 'add note' for a particular match, is what I write just private to me (i.e. 'checked and discounted' or 'contacted + date') or can all and sundry see what I've typed?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Good to see after all this waiting that your results are back. I found that once they actually started processing the DNA, results came back fairly quickly.

Don't rush, you've got all the time in the world. It is somewhat bewildering at first, but depending on how much time you want to give to it, it does become easier.

Your notes are for you and you alone, unless you give anyone else access to your results (not to be taken lightly, I have done it mutually for a first cousin, so that I can see which 5th to 8th cousins we share without asking her all the time).

Another thing - you say you have lots of blue dotted people today - all your matches will be blue dotted till you look at them, so I expect you've got thousands of them.

If you don't look at your results regularly you will be notified of new matches, otherwise you can click on 'New' and it will give you all the matches of the preceding 7 days that you have not already viewed. All yours will be in this category at present, until you look at them.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 March 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Margaret.

I find it amazing just how many people have no tree. I didn't before I took the test but went to the trouble of putting one on because I didn't see the point of taking the test if I didn't.

Must admit most of the confirmed 'matches' so far seem to centre around one family who migrated to Canada in the early 1800s. I think the North Americans have been a bit more enthusiastic about this than us! Needless to say, the surnames where I've got brickwalls are nowhere to be found - but I live in hope for the future! Amazing, when searching just by surname how many of my relatively common surnames aren't there at all!

Heigh ho!

Thanks again.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.