Author Topic: Assistance Request (McKeown & McCallum)  (Read 868 times)

Offline McKeown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assistance Request (McKeown & McCallum)
« on: Friday 02 March 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Help!
After a while away from here I return with (another) request for assistance.
I was recently made aware of Mckeownstown in Antrim. Close to Rasharkin where my McGookin/ McGuigan lineage comes from. So this has me a wee bit intrigued.

The furthest back in my McKeown line is to Michael McKeown who married Elizabeth (Eliza) McCallum.
They had 4 Sons as far as I can see;
Michael (M:Mary Rice),
Henry (1817-1896, M: Catherine Connolly),
Bernard (1820-1857, M: Mary Boyle),
Patrick (1823 - 1860, M: Mary McGuigan)

I have the sons in Scotland. I have found various census records under McQuen, McQueen, McEwen etc. I even have a record of Eliza McCallum (McKeown) in Scotland.

My request is to see if anyone has any information relating to this family. I am trying to locate the home, or marriage certificate of Michael McKeown and Catherine McCallum. There seems to be no record of Michael in Scotland. I cannot locate a death record for either Michael or Catherine. Did they go back to Ireland?

I presume they come from around Rasharkin/ McKeownstown, but I also have a tenuous link to the area around Randalstown namely the Duneane area.

Any information, or pointers in the general direction will we gratefully received.

Thank you,

M.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance Request (McKeown & McCallum)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
1834 from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/rasharkin-parish.php#
McKeon, Arthur Townland: Tamlaght Year: 1834
1861 from Griffith's Valuation http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Tenant
ARTHUR MCKEOWN Parish RASHARKIN Townland   TAMLAGHT
Sheet Number   26  Map Reference   7
sadly map ref 7 is not marked on their version of this map. its likely to be on a different copy either in the main valuation office Belfast or in Ballymena hdgs library

you can see the Townhill Road on a modern google maps see where you will find
McKeown Fine Foods 296 Townhill Road Rasharkin Ballymena BT44 8RW
I think this present company is probably on the the site of mckeownstown but on the 1861 map I couldn’t see it labelled as such
Directions
From Portglenone take the B96 north, off Main Street at the mini roundabout onto the Townhill Road. McKeown Fine Foods is exactly 4 miles from here on the left hand side.
From Rasharkin, proceed to the B96 Townhill Road. McKeown Fine Foods is on the right hand side.
i didnt checkDuneane etc
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide