Author Topic: Alfred L. G. McREAVY  (Read 1271 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred L. G. McREAVY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning All,

I have had a delightful several hours digesting and collating the details you posted.   Certainly there are areas and ancestors completely unknown to me as Grandfather was extremely reticent and talked little about his childhood and upbringing ::)

My Great Grandfather being a Police Constable rising to Sergeant is ironic in that as a mature postgraduate I am researching for a PhD on Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864 and the 4,000 juvenile offenders it "entertained" over that period.   If I research further back I may of course find a convict in the family, one possibly transported to Australia, as quite a few were from Ireland!!!

Finally, the 1911 Census, unfortunately, did not identify Grandfather's occupation.   I wonder if there are means of finding out?

Thank you all once again.

Tony Cocks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Finally, the 1911 Census, unfortunately, did not identify Grandfather's occupation.   I wonder if there are means of finding out?

It sounds as though you didn't look at the whole transcription or actual scanned image? Ex Sergt R I Constabulary
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Adare_South/Blackabbey/615857
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002718063/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,

I did look at the enumerator's image for 1911 and under "occupation" there is only a "dash".  In 1901 he was a "scholar".   I am starting to become concerned that I miss things in my dotage :'(

According to Grandfather's Marriage Certificate (recovered this morning) he is identified as a "Farmer" and on my mother's Birth Certificate he is a "Forester" (His father before him was also identified as a Farmer and retired Sergeant RIC).

Sincerely

Tony Cocks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, got mixed up with the generations  :-[
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
No need to apologise.......You have done me proud so far.

Can I ask a cheeky question please?    I am not familiar with Irish records but I would like to trace back beyond the details you have already researched for me, say, up to 1841 as in the UK:  where do I start?

Thank you,

Tony Cocks