Author Topic: Elizabeth Goodwin & Elizabeth Jones (Liverpool)  (Read 1629 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Goodwin & Elizabeth Jones (Liverpool)
« on: Friday 02 March 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I apologise in advance if this is confusing but I am very confused myself at the moment.

Elizabeth Goodwin was married twice. First to Thomas Jones, who died between 1878 & 1881 because in 1881 Elizabeth is listed as a widow.

Elizabeth next marries a Thomas Hawksey on 8th August 1886 at St Silas Liverpool. On the marriage certificate her father is John Goodwin (Mariner & Not listed as deceased). I thought I had found Elizabeth's parents as John Goodwin & Priscilla Coates however I am now unsure as on every census return John's occupation is listed as shoemaker or cordwainer. So I now don't know if I have the correct John Goodwin.

Could anyone help me find the marriage for Elizabeth Goodwin & Thomas Jones?

Also, Elizabeth and Thomas' daughter, Elizabeth Jones (born 1878 in Liverpool) married a John Jones and had - John Jones 1897, William Henry Jones 1901, Elizabeth Anne Jones 1902, & Arthur Thomas Jones 1907 and on Arthur's marriage certificate his father is listed as John Jones (Deceased). However in 1901 Elizabeth Jones is living at 60 Warren Street, Liverpool with her step-father Thomas Hawksey, half-brother John Hawksey, John Jones (3yo/Stepson to Head of Household), and William Jones (3m's/Stepson to Head of Household), but Elizabeth Jones is listed as single.

Elizabeth Jones next marries Patrick O'Flaherty 9th July 1909 (father's name listed as Thomas Jones - Labourer), she is listed as 34 and a spinster, so again no mention of her first spouse John Jones.

Maybe as I can't find a marriage, she wasn't married to John Jones?

I know it may seem a mess but if anyone could help me that would be great. I wish I could find John Jones in 1901.

Cheers - K.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Goodwin & Elizabeth Jones (Liverpool)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
In 1886 Elizabeth is shown as a widow aged 29 when she married Hawksey giving a birthyear of around 1857

Yet you say that when she married in 1909 - she was 34 and a spinster???

Elizabeth Jones next marries Patrick O'Flaherty 9th July 1909 (father's name listed as Thomas Jones - Labourer),

She would marry as Elizabeth Hawksey - not Jones

Why would her fathers surname be Jones when she was born as Goodwin

I think you have 2 different people here
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi kjmck,
I'm confused as well, you say Elizabeth was a widow in 1881, where was she living? there is an Elizabeth Jones bc1836, Bath, Somerset, widow with daughter Elizabeth b1878, Liverpool in the 1881 Manchester.  Maybe CaroleW is right and you have 2 different Elizabeths.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:19 GMT (UK) »
I do have 2 different women yes. Elizabeth Goodwin (b.1857) who married Thomas Jones & then Thomas Hawksey, was the mother of the Elizabeth Jones (b.1878) who married John Jones & then Patrick O'Flaherty.

I probably should have done this as two separate threads as it's quite confusing.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Residence
April 1881 • 7 St Andrews Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Head of Household (Widow). Occupation - Charwoman. Living with John William Jones (10 & Scholar), & Elizabeth (3).

This is Elizabeth as Head of Household in 1881.

K

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Can you include ages and birthplaces when quoting from census records please.  From what we know already - if Elizabeth was born 1857 and had a 10yr old son in 1881 - then she would only have been 14yrs old when he was born

You don’t give any details of her age or birthplace in 1881
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
I think I will re-do the entire thread to make it easier to understand  ??? ???

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »

How do you know that this is Elizabeth Goodwin, there are 2 or3 Elizabeth Jones in Liverpool with a son John William Jones .

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 18 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Jones in 1881 is listed 29 years old.
John William Jones is 10.
Elizabeth is 3.

There is also another Elizabeth Jones, a Widow, Aged 53, a Charwoman born in Ireland. No relationship is given to Elizabeth (29) but possibly her mother-in-law??

So in 1881 Elizabeth is living at 7a St Andrew's Street, on the marriage of Elizabeth Jones (nee Goodwin) to Thomas Hawksey in 1886 both Thomas and Elizabeth's residence is given as 7a/0 St Andrews Street, and in 1891 Thomas Hawksey (53) his wife Elizabeth (32) Elizabeth Jones (12/Stepdaughter) are living at 7a St Andrew's Street. I realise that the elder Elizabeth's ages don't match up though.