Author Topic: TAIT/RODGER connection GREENOCK  (Read 1035 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TAIT/RODGER connection GREENOCK
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 08:27 GMT (UK) »
This one for someone who loves a challenge.

My ancestor Robert Tait, tailor, from Ayr, married Elizabeth/Elisabeth Rodger (daughter of James Rodger and Elizabeth Black) in 1838.  Rodger/Black had a daughter Ann b 1814, and Elizabeth b 1819.  James Rodger Tait (my ggx2)  was born 1840.  His birth notice says his parents are Robert Tait and Elizabeth Rodger.
Ann
Census records in 1841 show mother as Elizabeth, in 1851 as Ann, in 1861 as Ann.  Robert's death notice says he's the widower of Ann Rodger; Ann's death cert says she's married to Robert, and her parents' names are correct.

James's death cert has the father's name wrong (but his bride's parent details are also wrong - if it was happening today, you'd say the Minister was on something!), but he does have his mother as Ann Tait.

James's death certificate says his mother is Ann.

I haven't found a death for Elizabeth.

Through various census records, I've found children named John, Elizabeth, Margaret, Hugh, James  but I can only find records for Elizabeth and James in ScotlandsPeople.  A further complication is that Elizabeth was born in 1839 which was too early for the Elizabeth in the census record.

Question:  Is the mother Ann aka Elizabeth?  Why can't I find records for the children, all listed as born in Greenock on the census records?

McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: TAIT/RODGER connection GREENOCK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Tait died 16th February 1930 at 22 Wellington Street, Greenock, he was wodower of Annie Healy and parents are given as Robert Tait and Ann Rodgers.  He was 78 years old.  His son Hugh Tait was present of Hutchesons Buildings, Sandbank.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople Church Records(Catholic) has a birth/baptism for a Robert Tait 1848 Greenock , parents Robert Tait / Ann Rodger.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
It would seem to me that Robert and wife Elizabeth Rodger had at least 2 children together: Elizabeth b.3/6/1839 and James Rodger b.17/9/1840.   No infant Elizabeth on 1841 census so would suggest that she died.   Sometime between 1841 and 1848 first wife Elizabeth died and Robert married her sister Ann (or not, as technically it was illegal I believe to marry your wife's sister even though it happened in my own Scottish family.  One of my ancestors died just before a census and on the census her widowed husband is with their many children and her sister Annie has moved in and shown as housekeeper.  The following year the husband and sister in law married and my own grandfather was born from this union.)

In view of missing baptisms to prove otherwise (not unusual with Scottish records) I would suggest that probably first wife Elizabeth died soon after 1841 and that the children born after then were indeed Robert and Ann's (who may or may not have been legally married).  James was only 8 months in 1841 and if his mother died soon after he may not even have known that Ann was not his mother but his aunt.   (Just googled and apparently it didn't become legal for a man to marry his deceased wife's sister until an Act of Parliament in 1907).   Because of the legality it may not have been discussed in the family - who can say.   Clearly, James grew up believing Ann was actually his mother and not Elizabeth who'd probably died when he was an infant.   Unfortunately, there are few burial records for Scotland on SP.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank for your thoughts and input into this one.  After I posted yesterday, I decided to have a look at the Catholic records and found the birth to Robert and Ann.  I like the explanation of his marrying both sisters, that would make sense at all counts.

McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker