Author Topic: Unusual first names in Cornwall  (Read 3473 times)

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual first names in Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
My husband’s grandmother was Catherine George, her mother was Salome and her brother was Samson.
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
A religious aspect not mentioned is naming children after saints with local connections. Cuthbert belongs to Durham of course but there was a fondness for the name in other parts of Northern England. His monks transported his body around until it finally came to rest at Durham. A small cell of monks from Durham existed at Lytham on the Lancashire coast, opposite side of England to Durham. Parish church of Lytham is still St. Cuthbert. Many families in that region of Lancashire named a son Cuthbert, sometimes shortened to "Cuddy".
 Sir Cuthbert Clifton became Lord of the Manor of Lytham at beginning of 17thC. Some of his tenants and staff may have named a son in his honour. He may have been godfather to some. Members of later generations of his family were godparents to babies in my family and some were named for the godparent or other members of the Clifton family (one example being a baby christened Frederick).
The family from Co. Durham which I mentioned in post #4 also had children called after aristocratic godparents. If some namesakes had several surviving children and grandchildren then those names might appear frequently in later generations.
Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 March 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Then, of course, there are names peculiar to locality?

In the Isle of Man these would include Cesar, Juan (pronounced joo-an), Christory, Colby, Faragher, Finbar, Orry, Fenella, Greeba, Joney, Voirrey, Mona, .
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great grandfather in Cornwall, Ambrose Bowden, and his father and grandfather were all called Ambrose. His wife and grandmother were both called Elizabeth. His mother was Beatrice. Elizabeth seems very common in Devon and Cornwall, Ambrose and Beatrice less so.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
Here is a calculated list of the most common forenames in Cornwall compiled from baptism records:

http://www.cornwalleng.com/cornish_names.html

There is nothing particularly unusual about the most common forenames.

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Here is a calculated list of the most common forenames in Cornwall compiled from baptism records:

http://www.cornwalleng.com/cornish_names.html

There is nothing particularly unusual about the most common forenames.

Fixed link: http://www.cornwalleng.com/cornish-names.html

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
I have a Joanna in my tree born 1843 in Dudley now West Midlands. I have an Ambrose - a saint's name. On my paternal line a common name was Simeon - a biblical name from the new testament but one family had Noah, Delilah, Moses and Reuben. Maternal line two names from the old testament are repeated for several generations Phineas and Hezekiah.

Found this to show where Joanna came from

Joanna is shown as the wife of Chuza, steward to Herod Antipas while being listed as one of the women who "had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities" who accompanied Jesus and the Apostles, and "provided for Him from their substance" in Luke 8:2–3.
GEDmatch M157477