Author Topic: Merchant Navy document ?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy document ?
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Could somebody please identify what this small document is that was filled out by my Grandfather.
The ship that is named I can identify as the SS Elmina and that it was my Grandfathers 1st Ship. I believe he joined the ship, soon after he completed his apprenticeship in 1923.

It was lovely to find this on the web, & see his signature, but I just wonder what it was for.

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline Donnie H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy document ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I believe the CR stands for central register and was used between 1913 and 1940 to provide an alphabetical central indexed record of merchant seamen .

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:26 GMT (UK) »
CR1 cards (1921-1941) are held in BT 349 at the National Archives. There's a class description here.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3385

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
The Continuous Discharge Certificate was basically a seamans identity paper and confirmation that he was an accredited Seaman - The certificate was signed by the Ship's Master at the end of the voyage He would need this to legally sign on for any other ship.
By the comment on the rear of this card it looks like it confirms your thoughts about it being his first issue and therefore the end of his first voyage at sea.  (I have a couple which belonged to my father)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Right, so maybe just his original application, for the little blue book of his, I think I am in possession of, at the start of his career.

........... and now I know this, the stated reason, clearly says "1st issue fee 2/6" ::) (12.5pence in todays money I believe  :)  )

Thank you all for your interest

Regards

Stewart

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
They're available on FindMyPast but I originally got mine from the Southampron Archives where, I understand, the originals are held (a whole package came for an impressively small fee which included a translation of his ship numbers from his CR10)

Did I mention his CR10? Yes, you should also look for the rest of his records which will list the ships he served on; or at least their official numbers, the dates he served on them and an ID photo.

Edit- he appears not to have a CR10 (not sure when these were phased out) but his CR2 is here - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA/MSEA/BT348/19/19/191979&parentid=TNA/BT348/2130189952/1

You might also like to look here - https://www.southampton.gov.uk/arts-heritage/southampton-archives/index-merchant-seamen.aspx

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your answer & interest Ray

Regards

Stewart

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 18 00:51 GMT (UK) »
The CR1 card was completed on application or renewal of his discharge book.

If you have in your possession his original discharge book could you check his discharge number please? The CR1 shows 1092734 which I think may be incorrect as that appears to belong to J.C. Allen. I have found a CR2 for R.W. Reid with discharge number 1092733 which I think is him.

For Ray T - that is not the correct CR2 for him - that one is for a chief steward and he has a different Dis.A.

CR 10 cards were introduced in 1918 and phased out in 1921.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I'd never have spotted that in a million years, Hugh, but you are correct. The number on his discharge book, is indeed 1092733

Is that likely to have been an error by my Grandfather, or the person dealing with the application, and I wonder if it had any consequences?

Regards

Stewart