Author Topic: Old Bailey records  (Read 729 times)

Offline wgordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Bailey records
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if there is any way to trace what happened to a case that was heard at the Old Bailey in 1921? Tried looking but i think they only have cases on line to 1913. I have found a newspaper article that gives the exact date it was heard but nothing to say the verdict. This is really what im after. Any idea how i find that out? Thanks

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bailey records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Records are in class CRIM at the National Archives

Depositions should be searchable online by name in CRIM1 but if it's an "ordinary" criminal case then only 2% survive. If it's something like treason then it should be there.

Indictments (CRIM4 and CRIM5) and court books have more limited searching facilities
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

How frustrating for you that the Old Bailey on-line seems to be only up to 1913 at present.

I wonder if The National Archive might have something?

Just occasionally the crime fits into a category that someone has researched for a book.
So try a websearch for your person, then click on more, then books.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found a newspaper article that gives the exact date it was heard but nothing to say the verdict. This is really what im after. Any idea how i find that out?

The outcome of the trial should be in the After-Trial Calendar in CRIM 9, held at the National Archives These records are not online for 1921.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3759039

Offline wgordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all Its a shame the records are not on line. (live miles away & unfortunately health issues) seems i may never find out the trial outcome.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
What is the case that you are interested in? We might be able to find something on it.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wgordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ Its a manslaughter case that went to trial on 31 May 1921. Thomas W Morris (19)accused of killing Agnes/Anne New Johnson (her name changes a few times in different newspapers) Between the crime in April and the trial he seems to also have attacked a man on 28th May.  If you could point me in right direction or find any info would be great   Thanks

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
The girl's correct name was Alice Charlotte New Johnson. She was buried at Havelock Norwood cemetery in Southall on 13 April 1921.

As far as the press reports go, we know that Morris was due to stand trial for manslaughter in June 1921. He had been out on bail, but on 27 May he was charged with causing grievous bodily harm to a man he had attacked in the street. He said he had no memory of the attack and was remanded for a week for medical examination. It is possible that he was found to be unfit to stand trial. This would explain why there are no further reports of either case.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wgordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again yes this is the same as the info i have. He always said he was sandbagged in ww1 but with his age im not sure. I know he married around 1925 so obviously he didnt get a long sentence if any. But he must of had some kind of punishment for her death.  As far as i know he never told the family Where to look next?