Author Topic: Williams genealogy South Africa  (Read 2027 times)

Offline rczcdm05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams genealogy South Africa
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Please assist in finding the "first" williams members to arrive in sa apart from 1820 settlers.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Williams genealogy South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootchat  ;D

You need to research back in your family who used the name Williams, as not all people named one surname are from the same family, so it is not a case of searching a surname and getting the answer.

FH is about research and you need to find each records of each person starting from yourself to first prove that person and also the connecting records to the parent and so on back, if the family at sometime migrated to ( somewhere in ) Sth Africa by doing the correct research you will run out of records there and you will likely then know the full name approx age, trade they did and/or who they worked for and by knowing this information it gives you better knowledge to look for travel records
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Williams is quite a common surname, so it might be a good idea to, at least, tell us which Williams arrived as 1820's Settlers. 

Are we talking - Michael (father), Glynnys (Butt - father William Arthur, mother, Maverine O'Connor), Chantal and Shannon (daughters)

Added:  Maverine appears to be Kathleen Maverine Butt and there is a sister, Mignon, who marries Steve Bredenham, children = Duncan, Cheryl and Damien.

Source:  www.1820settlers.com

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rczcdm05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Williams genealogy South Africa
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my paternal line with confidence to my grandfather, John Nicholas Williams - born 1875, died 1950. I think my great grandfather's names were Charles Edward Williams and his wife Lea Jacoba Williams (born Britz). Apparently they had twelve children. Apart from my grandfather i have traced two of his sisters: Alfida Agnes Thom and Getrude Angela West, both born Williams. the names of other siblings are; Gerard, Henry, Elizabeth Edwards (b. Williams), Charles Edward, Ita Langley (b. Williams), James, Reitz, Evlyn, and David.

Upon the outbreak of the Anglo Boer war i am advised that all the male siblings joined the boer forces.

In addition I know that John Nicholas was involved in the acquisition of horses for the boers in the Fauresmith/Edenburg districts in the Orange Free State.

Further, from what i was told, the original williams came from wales but his original surname was Meredith. Apparently he fled from Ireland to wales and fell in love with a lady having the surname williams. when he and the lady married it was on condition that he sacrifice the name Meredith and alter his surname to Williams.

Offline rczcdm05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much - now I understand.
Silly me but I learn something new each day.

Regards,
Peter :) :)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

Not sure how much you have found in your searching, but this may be your grandfathers Estate file. Date of death correct for your grandfather but parents given as Edward and Jacoba Williams.  That being said the information on the Death Notice is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving the information. His last will and testament is included, just go forward through the images.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS3Q-RYNX?i=414&cc=2520237&cat=188051

Family Search has a lot of South African records online and the database is updated regularly.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much - now I understand.
Silly me but I learn something new each day.

Regards,
Peter :) :)

Glad Sarah was able to help by merging your two posts.  :)  Welcome to rootschat  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk