Author Topic: Alexander Lightbody, Carluke  (Read 3340 times)

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Lightbody, Carluke
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my grandmother was a Lightbody.  Her father was Archibald Haldane Lightbody and he was a railway clerk in Edinburgh who went out to South Africa at the end of the 19th century to work (presumably on the building of the railway from Durban).  His father (Alexander(1845 - 1918) was an engine driver in Edinburgh, and his father (Archibald 1819-1895  was also a railway engine driver in Edinburgh born in Carluke) .   Then I get a bit stumped -  I've got back to about 1780 with a possible father for Archibald of Alexander also born in Carluke.  Now I'm struggling with him as all the records I can find are a bit muddling and not conclusive.  I think he must have been born around 1780 as he appears to have had a son called Alexander with Margaret Gilchrist in 1809.  The next children were not born until about 10 yrs later, so am worried this is incorrect.  I think his possible father is James Lightbody born 1765 in Carluke who married Margaret Rankine born 1770.  However, I cannot seem to prove any of this as the census of 1841 seems to be lacking.  There are Lightbodys in Carluke in 1841 but they don't appear to match.  I'd love to take the family further back and also find out what the earlier ones did for a living.   Any help much appreciated. ???
Cornwall: Skewes, Martin, Martyn, Dunstan
Scotland: Lightbody, Graham, Knox
England: Lello, Daniel

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Lightbody, Carluke
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
First of all, did Archibald (1819-1895) die in Scotland? And if so, have you seen his death certificate? If not, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits. Use six of them to download the image of Alexander's death certificate. This should tell you the names of his parents including his mother's maiden surname. No need to speculate or struggle, or not yet, anyway.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
His Death does not have his mother's name.  The informant was his son Samuel.  Samuel was born Samuel Gilchrist Lightbody his mother was Christina Hastie.  This is his second marriage which took place in 1869, he was 45 she 24. Yes he is the son of Alexander and Margaret Gilchrist.

The John Lightbody/Margaret Rankin birth of Alexander occurred in 1775.  That being said there are others that could fit as well. But, then his father could be a completely different given name.

Go to SP select births type in Lightbody no given name and select Carluke it will generate the births.  You can sort them by parents or date.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
There are Lightbodys in Carluke in 1841 but they don't appear to match.

1841 Census transcription FreeCEN
Johns Street , Carluke , Lanarkshire(all born Lanarkshire).
Margaret Gilchrist 50 sewer
Marion Lightbody 17
Andrew Lightbody 15 iron miner
Marrion Yetts 20 sewer(Archibald's first wife ?)

also

1841 Kirkton Street , Carluke , Lanarkshire.
Alexander Lightbody 50 stocking maker b. unknown
John Lightbody 20 labourer b. unknown

Children of Alexander Lightbody and Margaret Gilchrist ?
Alexander b. 1809
Archibald b. 1819
John b. 1821
Marion b.1823
Andrew b. 1826

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
From the Church Records on SP -
Alexander Lightbody(other person Margaret Gilchrist) death , age 64 , date 20th Oct. 1846 , Carluke Lanark.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I've been onto SP and bought a couple of items which were not of much help!  I attach them. The first is Alexander Lightbody's burial record(1846) which gives Margaret Gilchrist as his wife but no other details.  So I'm none the wiser re parents.  The second is going back a  generation, and I'm not sure what to make of it.  It is a mortcloth record for an Alexr Lightbody, but if you look at the inscription it is rather confusing - Alexr Lightbody in law was also buried this day. I wondered if this is a child or what the in law means - or am I just misinterpreting the writing? ???

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be only one attachment?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, for some reason I couldn't get the other one to go.  I'll try again.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Law is the name of the place in the parish of Carluke where he lived.
See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS8252

Also http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=55.7513&lon=-3.8884&layers=6&b=1