Author Topic: Bulloch family  (Read 890 times)

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bulloch family
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents William Bulloch aged 57yrs died Dec. 5th 1836 aged 57 yrs and his wife Mrs Bulloch died July, 20th 1835 aged 37yrs.
Their burials appear OPR 644/01068 00450 Glasgow.
Can anybody tell me where this burial site is?

Proprietors name was John Bulloch.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Bulloch family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
The 644/01 reference puts it in Glasgow  & from the records  644/01 068 looks like it referred to the North Street Church- possibly North Street in Anderston
Although in 1835/36 churchyards were still being used in many areas , unfortunately quite a lot of these no longer exist and North street is one of those (the M8 motorway carved a hole through that area)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the maps of the area on the National Library website and there is clearly a burial ground in North Street, Anderston - The bad news is that it was on the side completely obliterated by the M8 Motorway.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks.
This is certainly in the right spot for where the family was living.
I will research further into this church's records and perhaps discover more details on the family.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I am fairly certain that the Bulloch family in the graves are my g/g/grandparents.  Their daughter (my g/granmother) was Agnes Bulloch born 1830 and was living with a family at 155 Main Street.
It is probable that she worked at Provost McNaught's Mill which was behind his house in Main Street.  The mill was pulled down by Thos. Hodge & Co. to make extensions for their warehouse.  I am wondering whether Agnes was indentured to this Mill, - as both her parents were dead by the time she was 7 yrs old.
Would there be any records of her working there and are there any records of Provost McNaughts Mill in Main Street.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
It might be worthwhile emailing the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the University of Glasgow Business Archives to see if any records still exist although my experience of these business ledgers is that they refer primarily to the business and the costs of running it rather than individuals employed there (unless of course you were at the very top of the tree).

Although some Mills did take in orphans (New Lanark is a prime example) it was not always a cost effective means of employment for them. It's possible that your grandmother was "adopted" by other family or family friends and raised with them. A 7 yr old working in the Mill was not unusual at that time period - Again if you check with the Mitchell she may appear in the Poor Relief Applications which would give more information