Author Topic: No idea where to start  (Read 1666 times)

Offline ani1982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No idea where to start
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi I discovered my dad's biological fathers name is William isaac Leitch who married Janet Macaulay in 1957 at Provan glasgow. They must have divorced by 1964 as that's when she wed my grandad. My dad was born in 1959 he has no memory of William and he was never mentioned when my dad was growing up. No one I know has any info. Where do I Start  any help tips/tricks much appreciated

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No idea where to start
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 03:04 GMT (UK) »
The marriage entry for William and Janet was indeed at Provan in 1957 - his name is shown as William Isaac S. Leitch.   

William Isaac S. Leitch's death entry is shown as:

William Isaac S. Leitch born 10/9/1936, died Oct. 2002 Carmarthen.

He appears to have remarried in Sept.qtr.1963 Swansea to a lady surnamed Giles (cannot give full name as she could still be living).   They appear to have had 3 children in Swansea, a son Mar.qtr.1964, a daughter Mar.qtr.1965 and another son in Jun.qtr.1975 - cannot name as no doubt still living).   

There is another marriage shown for him (luckily he has a distinctive name) in June 1996 in Llanelli.

If it is his ancestry you are trying to find then the best thing to do would be to obtain a copy of his marriage certificate (to Janet) in 1957.  This was in Scotland and you can order it by registering with Scotland People website.   Scottish certificates give far more information than English ones and the marriage certificate will list the names of his parents.

I also looked for his birth on SP and it seems that his second and 3rd. names had been switched around by the time he married.   Birth entry is shown as William Scott I. Leitch born 1936 Shettleston - again you can order birth certificate on SP.   Cost of each certificate is £12.

Once you get further back in time you can purchase credits instead and actually view copies of the relevant records.   However, one step at a time.

If, however, you are wanting to trace any living relatives then I'm afraid we can't help much as Rootschat is for help with tracing ancestors and not living people.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ani1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 18 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Blimey Your an actual. i had found the date of his death but i wasnt sure if it was him so i had made a note of it to go back to.
those details are great and now i can look for ancestral history.

If your up for a challenge im also searching my maternal grandfather ( i cant get details from my biological mother).
Maternal Gran is Cecelia O'Brien she died 5/11/2013 at 81yr old. Have no grandfather details.

and if im not already pushing my luck i was looking for my wee aunties history (he was like my gran) I found a Lilias M ( the M may stand for Merrylee, god i hope it does lol) either Crorken or McGroarty
born 1941 tradeston was the RD. she died 2007 at 65yo and she married Donald Macaulay in 1972.

God i cant believe how fast you sorted through all that information. I find it confusing and i cant make head or tails of some of it.

Again i thank you a million times.

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ani

Sometimes it helps if you can enter what you do know for sure in a family tree on your computer. You can get free templates from several sites. I prefer the Ancestral Quest tree. It's simple to use and very clear. There are others, though. Then you can see the various generations and sometimes get an idea of the timeframes you're looking for.
Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ani1982,
Been trying to find your grandfather and your aunt but with no success I'm affraid. Do you have any more details?

Are you a Londoner by any chance?

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Found the birth and marriage of Lilias M Crorken on Scotlands People but nothing else about her. If  you order her birth cert you should find her parents.

Offline ani1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi ani1982,
Been trying to find your grandfather and your aunt but with no success I'm affraid. Do you have any more details?

Are you a Londoner by any chance?
Hi solidrock, thanks for the help. No not a Londoner but a Glaswegian.
details about my mystery grandfather - cecelia o'brien had 7 children.
Possibly lived in govan, glasgow when growing up as that where they ended up. Cecelia was also known as Dalshy and im sure her sister was nora (married name osborne). Dalshy (we called her that instead of gran) died 5/11/2013 still living in Govan Glasgow right beside the shipyards.
thanks for any help.

Offline ani1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Found the birth and marriage of Lilias M Crorken on Scotlands People but nothing else about her. If  you order her birth cert you should find her parents.

I have vague recollections of her being a McGroarty and she married Donald Macaulay who was brother to Janet Macaulay who married William Isaac Leitch then Tommy Swan Maxwell (I swear when i heard his name was Tommy Swan Maxwell my 1st thought was thats a gangster sounding name lol) Lilias was known as Lily and had a brother Alec or Alex. Lilys husband Donald is another puzzle lol ive found details on his siblings births but not his strangely and i only remember he was old lol.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 March 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

I've edited your posts for living(or possibly living) persons , and moved the topic to Lanarkshire.

Cecilia O'Brien(other surname McGowan) death 2013 Glasgow Lanark , age 81 , mother's maiden surname Crombie.
There is a possible McGowan / O'Brien marriage 1956 Tradeston Lanark.

The 1921 marriage of Philip McGowan / Cecilia Crombie 1921 Govan Lanark may be of interest.

As has already been mentioned Scotlandspeople certificates are the way to go.

ev

Added -
National Archives of Scotland have a reference to a divorce in 1963 , William I S Leitch / Janet McAulay.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records