Author Topic: How can I obtain Old Medals  (Read 856 times)

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How can I obtain Old Medals
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Great Grandfather James Kersley was the R.S.M (K.O.Y.L.I.) Depot from 1891 to 1898. During his service from 1866 to 1898 he obtained the following medals :-

Afghanistan + Clasp for Ali Musjid.
India Medal + Clasp for Burma.
Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.  (General Order 170 of Oct 1884).
Meritorious Service Medal. (Army Order 168 of Oct 1899).

I would like to get these medals if possible.

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How can I obtain Old Medals
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 13:30 BST (UK) »
hiya trevor,i dont want to put you off,i can only tell you what your up against,the KOYLIs museum MAY have them,but i doubt if they will part with them,but if they do have em,i am sure they will probably give you photos+info about him,if they are in the hands of a private collector,then you have a very tiny chance that they may sell them to you,thats if you can find out who they are,AND thats not easy,collectors do not advertise anything about themselves because their collections are worth many thousands of pounds and its an invite to thieves,lastly,theres the possibility that his family buried the medals with him,which is not uncommon,IF you do track them down and they are willing to sell them,then you had best sell your car,house and the wife and kids cos they will be expensive,sorry about the negative waves,but ime letting you know the difficultys.
contact the museum first,see if they have them[address below],also put a request in medal news,this is the magazine thats read by all the collectors,you can do it on line.it costs about £5 to enter your request,but it stays on till the medals are found or you ask for it to be removed.you dont need his number,just put the other info in.good luck.

kings own yorkshire light infantry
regimental museum
museum and art gallery
chequer rd
doncaster
south yorks
dn1 2ae
tel 01302 734293
i dont know if major deedes is still the curator

medaltracker.com
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How can I obtain Old Medals
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 05 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack,

Thanks very much for the info, I will try the museum.

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"