Author Topic: Please help me date this family photo, translation of ruthenian/cyrillic?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline jlo5616

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me date this family photo, translation of ruthenian/cyrillic?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 March 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone!

So yes, I am the one who added Sophia Oneske on FindAGrave, and I'm also the owner of the Oneske Family Tree site that was posted. That is the Sophia I am researching.

What I do know is that Sophia is NOT the mother in that picture. My great grandmother Sophia had a single son with my great grandfather Prokop Oneskewicz.

I do have some post cards sent to my great grandmother from an Anna Strilecka, and it looks like she might write "sister" in them. So my thought is if this photo date-wise isn't correct to be Sophia as a child, it might be she had a sister named Anna and Anna named a child Sophia after her sister. However the obvious hole in this theory is that the last name on the photo for all four people is Drozd, and if Anna married she would have likely taken the last name of her husband (Strilecka I would assume). Or maybe sister was just a term of endearment and doesn't actually mean biological sister?

This stuff tortures me!!!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Odd that the lady doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jlo5616

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that too. I have other photos of alleged family members where they have wedding rings on (right hand, middle finger). But these people look pretty poor, wouldn't you say? Perhaps it just wasn't in the budget or wasn't important?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone!

So yes, I am the one who added Sophia Oneske on FindAGrave, and I'm also the owner of the Oneske Family Tree site that was posted. That is the Sophia I am researching.

What I do know is that Sophia is NOT the mother in that picture. My great grandmother Sophia had a single son with my great grandfather Prokop Oneskewicz.

I do have some post cards sent to my great grandmother from an Anna Strilecka, and it looks like she might write "sister" in them. So my thought is if this photo date-wise isn't correct to be Sophia as a child, it might be she had a sister named Anna and Anna named a child Sophia after her sister. However the obvious hole in this theory is that the last name on the photo for all four people is Drozd, and if Anna married she would have likely taken the last name of her husband (Strilecka I would assume). Or maybe sister was just a term of endearment and doesn't actually mean biological sister?

This stuff tortures me!!!

On balance, it would appear that Anna sent this to your Great Grandmother and it is of Anna and her family.

As Sandra has shown...the translation reads:

Sending you for remembrance how we look.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU