Author Topic: Henrici Fox 1600  (Read 2395 times)

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henrici Fox 1600
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Following my tree I find I have Henrici Fox 1600, who was born in Coxwold Yks , it seems he died in Watertown Massachusetts British Colonies . Why would a farmer from Yks go to America, I wonder if he was a Chartist not willing to sign the strict religious orders of the day . I recently saw on T V about  a George Fox who was imprisoned at that time for being a Quaker in Scarborough Castle . Wondering if there was a family connection and did  George end up in the British Col0nies . I'm really intrigued and would love some help it's hard working in Australia .Tiptop Many thanks .

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henrici Fox 1600
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Are you thinking of George Fox, the founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)? According to Wikipedia, he was born in Leicestershire in 1624 - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Fox  The article also mentions his imprisonment in Scarborough.

If you find you need to explore a Quaker connection, there's a lot of information on the Quaker FHS site - http://www.qfhs.co.uk/

Many of the early immigrants from England to North America went for religious reasons, but they are generally referred to as Puritans. Chartism was more of a political movement, about 200 years later.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, will try on the link you posted. Regards Tiptop.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi tiptop

You need to research the Massachusetts Bay Colony of which Watertown was a part. There is a lot of information online. One thing about the Puritans is they didn't like Quakers and from about 1649 banned them from the Colony. Some were tortured and some even killed. 

The Colony has been extensively studied. I see no mention of Henrici or Henry Fox. There was a Thomas Fox though. 

Are you sure he went to Watertown?

Venelow
Canada

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
Following my tree I find I have Henrici Fox 1600, who was born in Coxwold Yks , it seems he died in Watertown Massachusetts British Colonies . Why would a farmer from Yks go to America, I wonder if he was a Chartist not willing to sign the strict religious orders of the day .

At these dates an answer as to why he moved to the colonies, or was possibly transported, could be the English Civil War (1642–1651). It caused huge upheaval, when many lost their property, livelihoods and even family members.

The 'Chartist' period was during the 1830/40's.

I recently saw on T V about  a George Fox who was imprisoned at that time for being a Quaker in Scarborough Castle . Wondering if there was a family connection and did  George end up in the British Col0nies . I'm really intrigued and would love some help it's hard working in Australia .Tiptop Many thanks .

There was also many Catholics in the area, as well as other types of nonconformists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recusancy