Author Topic: Anyone recognise this man - Sid?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone recognise this man - Sid?
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The man in this picture lived with my maternal Grandmother Lilian Carpenter (nee park nee Starling) sometime in the late 1960's early 1970's. I only ever knew him as Uncle Sid - and he was really the only 'Grandfather' I knew as Lilian's first husband died before I was born and her second when I was 5. Never thought to ask his name while Mum was alive, and after finding these photos while sorting out the estate it has sparked a hunger to find out. They never married (assume Nan didn't want to after losing 2 husbands already) - but lived in Nans house in Valence Avenue, Dagenham.
Not a lot to go on really - but thought I would give it a go - at least until I can get access to Dagenham Electoral Registers post 1965.
Oh, the pictures were found in a couple of tiny viewers with the Butlins logo - so if anyone recognises which Butlin's these pictures were taken it, let me know
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise this man - Sid?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add... Sid had a false leg as he apparently lost it during the war

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, don't recognise them but I dropped by to say that you might get a better result by posting your request on the relevant county board instead of the general "England" country board.   I see from the website GENUKI that Dagenham is in Essex County.

I wondered if you have posted your request on this Facebook Group webpage, which is about olden day memories and entitled: "Barking and Dagenham days gone by"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268377570012302/

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Did your grandmother die before him, if so, her will might name him? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
In 1964 the two occupants of 454 Valance Avenue were Lilian M Carpenter and Stanley Carpenter, presumably her husband then?  She is on her own the following year.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena and Groom for the prompt replies....

Rena - thank you very much, will look at that facebook site
Groom - No, Sid passed away sometime in the 1970's and Nan in 1981 - and yes, Stanley was her second husband who passed away late 1964 in the Lowestoft Pontin's Holiday Camp where we were all on holiday.

Cheers

Kev

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this site:  http://www.bygonebutlins.com

On the green strip on the left, there's a link to their forum - not terribly active but worth a try?  The hills in the background rule out sone of their old locations and might jog someone's memory.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at images but as the camps more or less had the same layout I found it difficult to make up my mind.

My grandparents went to the same holiday resort for donkeys years and it wasn't the nearest one either, but I came across a website that gave travelling times from the Met Borough of London to Butlins camps in case it was relevant.

Here's what I found on one forum, where a poster had asked which Butlins was closest to London:

Which BUTLINS Holiday resort is the closest to london?

1 - BOGNOR REGIS.... Trains from London Victoria 1 hr 45 mins.

2 - SKEGNESS.

3 - MINEHEAD.... Minehead from London - National Express to Taunton 3.15hrs then bus to Minehead 1.50hrs.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke