Author Topic: Old map of Tredegar  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Old map of Tredegar
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
David, I don't think there's any need to apologise for being late in giving your thanks. It always strikes me as a slightly pointless exercise comma and there are in fact some forums where you can just click an icon to send thanks. I once even had a very unpleasant email from somebody who actually checked up on what other comments I posted on instead of sending her thanks. I actually hate getting a reminder email saying that a new comment has been added to a thread that I am following only to find out that is just one or two words or even one of those cartoon faces.  Naturally, please don't thank me for this comment.  I will now remove my tongue from my cheek. No doubt somebody else will give me a tongue lashing for my cheek.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Not a tongue lashing but wondered about your post as it doesn't seem to be anything about maps of Tredegar  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pomp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 March 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I wanted to look into the streets of Tedegar to see where my ancestors were living. They were in Pit Row and Iron Row in the main, possiblly Pond Row too, hence my request.

Good fun this family history malarkey :-)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 March 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi pomp - no problem with your request. It was Mart'n'Al, I was querying as he was commenting on your thanks :-\

I think I remember going around the old maps looking for those rows a while back. I think it might be that you have to look at the 25 ins to the mile map that might show them. Have you looked at the enumerators descriptions of the 'walk' in the pieces that your ancestors lived on any of the censuses. Or even just looking through the adjacent pages.  It might help you pinpoint where they are.

If you list some names, DofB, etc. we might be able to help as well.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 March 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »

Offline pomp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 March 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I understood pomp to be interested in addresses between 1850-1900 and the tithe maps were produced  between 1838 and 1850   ( https://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=7347 ), so some of the later addresses would not show and the occupants would not be the same.

Gadget

Tithe Map
The Tithe Maps were produced 1830s to mid 19th Century, to map out, only the Tithable Lands the old properties and fields liable to Tithe. Tithable Lands were the older Inclosures of Property; Farms and Fields.

The old Tithe payment was being commuted to a 'Rent Charge', so Parishes with old Tithable Lands were surveyed.

Parliamentary Enclosure Acts
From the previous 18th Century, the Parliamentary Inclosure of Land by Parliamentary Act (after 1730 in our Town) were often exempt of Tithe and therefore depicted as blank areas on our 1842 Tithe Map, despite them being inhabited with Houses; Farms and Fields, well before the Tithe Map was Surveyed.

Our 1842 Tithe Map (Nuneaton Parish) only shows Properties, Farms and Old Fields (about 6,000 acres) Inclosed before 1730, despite the remaining 6,000 acres of our Parish being inclosed under the first Parliamentary Act of 1730 and the last Parliamentary Act of 1802 (but blank on our 1842 Map of the Titheable Lands, despite persons and farmers occupying the blank land).

Summary
Therefore, residences and people might show in an 1841 Census (and be the Owner or Main Occupier), but may NOT always be on the Tithe Map, nor listed in the Tithe Apportionment Schedule of 1842.

So in 1841 they might live in an area, depicted as a blank area on an 1842 Tithe Map, for which there is no numbering and no listing in the Tithe Apportionment Schedule, but the Land has already been inclosed (divided up into individual properties and fields) as Tithe Exempt before the Tithe Map Survey date.

If this is the case, you then need to look for Enclosure Acts and accompanying Maps, or Deeds.

Tithable Property - Exempt of Tithe
For a payment (usually one-off payment) to the Queen Anne's Bounty Office, you could become exempt of Tithe Payment.

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Link to location of Pond Row:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674334.0

Mark - the tithe maps aren't relevant to this query - interesting as they are.

Gadget

Offline pomp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi pomp - no problem with your request. It was Mart'n'Al, I was querying as he was commenting on your thanks :-\

I think I remember going around the old maps looking for those rows a while back. I think it might be that you have to look at the 25 ins to the mile map that might show them. Have you looked at the enumerators descriptions of the 'walk' in the pieces that your ancestors lived on any of the censuses. Or even just looking through the adjacent pages.  It might help you pinpoint where they are.

If you list some names, DofB, etc. we might be able to help as well.

Gadget

I have attached the street visited before Pit Row Tredegar, are you able to decipher?

Regards

David

Copyright Image removed