Author Topic: Missing Solloway death  (Read 1988 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Missing Solloway death
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Johnson Solloway, born 1801 in Eccleston, Lancashire, worked as a groom around the country. The surname is mis-spelled about a third of the time.

He married Martha Harreman at Stoke on Trent in 1829 and had at least 8 children before her death in 1847.

Johnson then married Elizabeth Craddock at St. Michael's, Coventry on 1st March 1851. The date has been burned from the register, but can be inferred. Both give their residence as Smithford St. "Gentleman's Servant" is his occupation.

On census day at the end of the same month, Johnson Solloway is a "Gentleman's Coachman" at Tidmington Lodges, near Shipston on Stour, but described as a WIDOWER. With him are his two youngest children (Major, 11 & George, 7), and Lucy Craddock, 38, described as Sister-in-law, and single.

I have not found a baptism for Elizabeth, but the father's name (Bartholomew, a cordwainer) matches that on Lucy's baptism (Rugeley, Staffs, 1811), so the relationship seems correct.

I've found a matching Bartholomew at Rugeley in an 1818 trade directory.

Johnson and Lucy went on to live as man and wife. I can't find any marriage for them, but it would then have been illegal to marry his dead wife's sister.

Lucy died in 1867 in Lancashire. The burial claims "wife of Johnson Solloway".

So can anyone suggest where Elizabeth was born or died?

Or did Johnson decide that he had married the wrong sister and ran away with her?

Johnson was pretty consistent with ages and places of birth, though he made his mark at both his marriages.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Solloway death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »

There is a members tree on Ancestry which shows Lucy Craddock was the half sister of Martha Harreman (Harriman) - Johnsons first wife.  They both shared the same mother Ann.

Fay

Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »

Do you have Elizabeth Craddock on the 1841 census?

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Does that infer Elizabeth died between 1 Mar and 30 Mar? 

I wonder if he just left her or she him and he claimed to be widowed for respectability at having sister in law living with him :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
If it wasn't for the  ??? 1851 census you would think Elizabeth and Lucy were one and the same.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »

I agree Milliepede, and i can't find Lucy or Elizabeth in 1841.

Fay

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
No I can't either :(

I suppose there's a chance the 1851 census details were entered incorrectly but doesn't seem likely as Lucy has her maiden name.  It's very confusing. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »

If the tree on Ancestry is correct and Lucy is Marthas half sister, would it still be against the law for Johnson to marry Lucy.  If so do you think Lucy used an alias name - Elizabeth - in order to marry him.

Just a thought.

Fay

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
That's good thinking.  Yes she could have used an alias and they fabricated the 1851 census answers (or went back in time to before they were married) - or is that too far fetched?

Or the marriage date wasn't before the census after all and they are telling the truth! 
You said the marriage date had been burned from the register so could it be the 31st instead of the 1st?
Pick - Frocester Glos