Author Topic: Why are the dead so interesting?  (Read 6784 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the dead so interesting?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »

.........................................My ancestors aren't dead, they're living in people that I know and love.

Beautiful  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Ditto... ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 March 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »

Researching them can be very very useful.
My daughter has pernicious anaemia.
                                                                                               Viktoria

Victoria, my OH's grandmother suffered from that when the treatment was that she had to eat one and a half pounds of RAW liver each day  :o
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the same with my maternal aunt-whom I never knew of course,nor my G Grandma.
My Mum said Blanche used to cry because of the raw liver.The sad thing is it would do no good because sufferers can not  assimilate  the  Vitamins in the B complex , via the digestion.
Blanche died lying on the settee,my Mum was present,she was next in age to Blanche .She would be 14.
It can sometimes be caused by overuse of indigestion remedies which kill off something called the Intrinsic Factor,so inhibiting the absorption of Vitamin B.
The test is called The Schilling test,must be either unpleasant or a real nuisance.
The heart must be tested too.
What a lot of enjoyment we get from our research,the more we find out the more we want to know.
I am coming back to haunt my family if they don`t research my history .
They know a lot of course but there are many more things to find out. ::)
                                                                                                    Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 March 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the same with my maternal aunt-whom I never knew of course,nor my G Grandma.
My Mum said Blanche used to cry because of the raw liver.The sad thing is it would do no good because sufferers can not  assimilate  the  Vitamins in the B complex , via the digestion.
Blanche died lying on the settee,my Mum was present,she was next in age to Blanche .She would be 14.
It can sometimes be caused by overuse of indigestion remedies which kill off something called the Intrinsic Factor,so inhibiting the absorption of Vitamin B.
The test is called The Schilling test,must be either unpleasant or a real nuisance.
The heart must be tested too.
What a lot of enjoyment we get from our research,the more we find out the more we want to know.
I am coming back to haunt my family if they don`t research my history .
They know a lot of course but there are many more things to find out. ::)
                                                                                                    Viktoria.

That's so sad Victoria.   She had the rough end of the stick didn't she.  My OHs grandmother is the one who told me about the liver and she lived to be 96.  She told me because I mentioned my mother was being treated (with medication) for pernicious anaemia when she was in her 40s - thank goodness she came through that okay.

lol - fingers crossed that you don't need to come back to haunt anyone  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
These days treated by injection every twelve weeks. :)
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
May be answering my own question here but is it because they are dead that they are so fascinating?

Especially researching your ancestors, the fact you get so invested in someone who died 200 years ago or more, seems quite important.

This is something I've pondered ever since the genealogy bug first bit me about 17 years ago. I love the research and I'm good at it but it's more than that. Why is it so important to me? I don't fully understand it myself.

It has something to do with a yearning to belong. It's like missing the small hometown that we left when I was young and the way I feel when I go back and walk the same streets I walked as a girl. This is me. This is where I am from. This is where I was formed.

As Rena so eloquently expressed it, our ancestors are also a part of us, at a molecular level that we can't see but we recognize through our lived experience. In learning about them, we learn about ourselves: where we came from, where we belong.

When I started, I wanted to learn about the grandmother I had never known. Who was she? Why had she left my grandfather and her two young children and never returned? Why didn't we belong to her, and her to us, as it should have been?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I often find that the occupations of our ancestors carry on through the generations which fascinates me when I compare the working practice, tools of the trade and work schedule, then and now.
Fishermen/Seamen, Shoemakers/Cobblers, Seamstresses/Dressmakers, Carters/Lorry Drivers, Blacksmiths and Soldiers to name but a few  ;D ;D
It's a history lesson that I never learned in any classroom.
I won't mention the felons  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 March 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting point, Carol. I'm guessing that tradition has been eroded to a great extent, with automation, the loss of family farms, the transfer of most manufacturing jobs to other countries, etc.

This isn't the same thing, but I've long been fascinated by old wooden boxes and wooden shoe lasts, and I was tickled to learn that one of my g-grandfathers worked in a wooden box factory and several of my ancestors were shoemakers. It's probably just a coincidence but I think it's kind of neat.

Regards,
Josephine

P.S. Some of my ancestors got in trouble with the law, too.  :o
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters