Author Topic: Down the rabbit hole  (Read 708 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Down the rabbit hole
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
   "Disappearing down a rabbit hole" is my daughter's description of those times when we spend ages obsessively tracking someone through the records - often someone with no great relevance, but you still do it. When you come back up, you wonder why you did it.
    I thought it was quite apt. :D
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Down the rabbit hole
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
 ;D--Yes,and you do find some odd characters down there!
Murderers,philanderers,hard workers,drunkards.Wonderful grandmas,tragic cousins,but as yet no white rabbits,flamingos, queens and kings.or Cheshire cats.
Mind you---there is still time!Viktoria.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
My term for a hopeless quest working backwards is when people " emerge dripping from the Irish Sea, at Liverpool" - it's too, too true. As soon as I see "Ireland" on an 1840s / 1850s / 1860s census, with no further detail, as place of birth, I now make no further efforts on that poor person. Experience tells me it's hopeless.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Would that be because of the fire which destroyed many Irish records?
Some one in my family ,their records were amongst those destroyed when a bomb dropped on the Records Office ,I think.In London.
To be remembered even if your records are incomplete is a sort of immortality,well the next best thing for ordinary people who for the most part led mundane unexciting lives.
Remembrance is all we can do for them.
I`m getting sad now :(
I might go and write my obituary ,no one else will do it as  I want it to be. ::)
                                                     Viktoria.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Would that be because of the fire which destroyed many Irish records?
Some one in my family ,their records were amongst those destroyed when a bomb dropped on the Records Office ,I think.In London.
To be remembered even if your records are incomplete is a sort of immortality,well the next best thing for ordinary people who for the most part led mundane unexciting lives.
Remembrance is all we can do for them.
I`m getting sad now :(
I might go and write my obituary ,no one else will do it as  I want it to be. ::)
                                                     Viktoria.

A fire in the records office in Dublin.
This will tell you what was lost (not as much as people claim)
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-records-burned.html

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
It's not so much what may have been lost that deters and defeats me, more they simply NEVER said where in Ireland - north or south - any of them came from, they seemed to arrive ready-married, and to be very undocumented ... oh, and not too certain about their ages, either!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)