Author Topic: Down the rabbit hole  (Read 972 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Down the rabbit hole
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
   "Disappearing down a rabbit hole" is my daughter's description of those times when we spend ages obsessively tracking someone through the records - often someone with no great relevance, but you still do it. When you come back up, you wonder why you did it.
    I thought it was quite apt. :D
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Down the rabbit hole
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
 ;D--Yes,and you do find some odd characters down there!
Murderers,philanderers,hard workers,drunkards.Wonderful grandmas,tragic cousins,but as yet no white rabbits,flamingos, queens and kings.or Cheshire cats.
Mind you---there is still time!Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
My term for a hopeless quest working backwards is when people " emerge dripping from the Irish Sea, at Liverpool" - it's too, too true. As soon as I see "Ireland" on an 1840s / 1850s / 1860s census, with no further detail, as place of birth, I now make no further efforts on that poor person. Experience tells me it's hopeless.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Would that be because of the fire which destroyed many Irish records?
Some one in my family ,their records were amongst those destroyed when a bomb dropped on the Records Office ,I think.In London.
To be remembered even if your records are incomplete is a sort of immortality,well the next best thing for ordinary people who for the most part led mundane unexciting lives.
Remembrance is all we can do for them.
I`m getting sad now :(
I might go and write my obituary ,no one else will do it as  I want it to be. ::)
                                                     Viktoria.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Would that be because of the fire which destroyed many Irish records?
Some one in my family ,their records were amongst those destroyed when a bomb dropped on the Records Office ,I think.In London.
To be remembered even if your records are incomplete is a sort of immortality,well the next best thing for ordinary people who for the most part led mundane unexciting lives.
Remembrance is all we can do for them.
I`m getting sad now :(
I might go and write my obituary ,no one else will do it as  I want it to be. ::)
                                                     Viktoria.

A fire in the records office in Dublin.
This will tell you what was lost (not as much as people claim)
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-records-burned.html

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
It's not so much what may have been lost that deters and defeats me, more they simply NEVER said where in Ireland - north or south - any of them came from, they seemed to arrive ready-married, and to be very undocumented ... oh, and not too certain about their ages, either!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)