Author Topic: John Winstanley - Watchmaker (continued)  (Read 754 times)

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Winstanley - Watchmaker (continued)
« on: Monday 05 March 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
This image is for Purplekat. Here is the excerpt of the marriage cert of Margaret Winstanley, the daughter of john Winstanley. Showing the signature of the witness' so that you can compare to your documents.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785147.18
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Winstanley - Watchmaker (continued)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Kiwi, unless this is a snip from the ORIGINAL marriage certificate, the names of witnesses will not be their actual signatures, I fear.  For instance, both names appear to have been written by the same person, to me.

??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
That's a pity but thanks for informing me Billyblue.
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi kiwi2011

We were in touch when you originally posted on the subject of John Winstanley, I asked you to post the image but I didn't see it at the time.  It didn't matter to me about the signatures, to me it was the name of the male witness I wanted to see, Edward McGuffie doesn't seem to me to be a common name and it appears in documents in my Winstanley family as a witness and in a census. It's not always spelled the same way eg I've seen it as McGuffin.  I did think I had replied to your private message to say that I think your Margaret Winstanley Hughes is the daughter of Thomas Winstanley and Margaret Sturdy, I think there is a mistake on Margaret's birth certificate saying that her father was John.  :)