Author Topic: Morrison family Kirkudbrightshire/Dumfriesshire  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrison family Kirkudbrightshire/Dumfriesshire
« on: Monday 05 March 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for help and/or opinions on the following.

I have an ancestor John Morrison born 1811 New Abbey,Kirkudbrightshire and baptized at Kirkconell Roman Catholic Church.Parents names are James Morrison and Martha Stranach.
I have searched for James and Martha in all RC church records in Kirkudbrightshire and Dumfriesshire without a single trace.
What I have found is a James Morrison, Baptized 1809 at the same church.Parents are James Morrison and Martha Strandford, who appear to be from Ireland.The baptism is recorded at Gibbon Hill, the only trace of which I can find is a Gibbon Hill Farm, a few miles from New Abbey.
Based on the above, what are the opinions about these being the same people.

All help most welcome

John

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison family Kirkudbrightshire/Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Before I'd finished reading this, I thought 'from Ireland'  :)

I would say that it seems quite possible that they are the same. Martha's surname being misheard or even miss transcribed in one of the entries. Have you followed up James (1809) to see if thee is any more information on him.

Also, have to looked in the Irish records for a marriage for James and Martha?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've just searched through the baptisms at Kirkconnel RC for 1800 to1920 on Scotlands People and don't see any of the names you mention.

Could you tell me where you found he records, please.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Just another thought.  Given the location of Kirkconnel, have you looked in Ayrshire?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Interesting wording on the two baptisms

On the one for James it says son to James Morrison and Martha Strangford said to be his lawful wife and married about five years agoin Granart parish county of Longford by F Peter Daily.

On John's it says son to James Morrison and Martha Stranach prot.

The wording seems to be at odds with others on the respective pages - key words for James are "said to be" while all the others have the expression lawful wife on the page with John's. Not au fait enough with RC  records to be sure but presumably prot. is an abbreviation of protestant.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had your PM, William.

I'd never have thought of looking on FindMyPast for those records  ::)

So why are they not on SP?

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
It would also appear that the marriage was an RC one - F. Peter Daily.

It might well be in the Irish records sets.

Gadget

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
The only thing that I can think of to explain why they are on FindMyPast but not on SP is that there are records for several parishes on the same page and in the same hand, suggesting that they are copies of the original parish returns. Both data sets on FindMyPast and SP appear to have been sourced from the Scottish Catholic Archive.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Something like our BTs then?

I've had a brief look at  some of the Irish records but can't find anything in Co Longford.

I'm thinking that it might be worth Mojo putting up a new query in Ireland with a link to this thread.

There are a few possibles for James and John on the 1841 but no way of telling and looking for deaths might cost a good few credits.  I did find one death for a James,  in Kirkcudbright, a blacksmith, aged 76  but parents and wife were recorded as unknown.

Gadget