Author Topic: Rootsweb  (Read 421 times)

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootsweb
« on: Monday 05 March 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Anybody know when rootsweb is likely to be up and running again? I keep getting this message, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzbound/auckland.htm#Sydney

And I want to check some shipping lists for 1848-52

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Rootsweb
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I`m afraid we are awaiting folk in the states to get organised. The front page doesn't give us a clue about timescales.

It seems that the code the site runs on is very elderly and is no longer supported. They have made some parts read-only so as to avoid security issues while they investigate and possibly re-write.

Allowing people to upload things gives a possible security hole. It was possible for ne'er-do-wells to embed malware in the stuff offered to us to view.

All this will cost money, so will be a low priority for Ancestry.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.