Author Topic: FERGUSON & CONWAY (Thomas & Mary)  (Read 702 times)

Offline marie85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FERGUSON & CONWAY (Thomas & Mary)
« on: Monday 05 March 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I'm new here so please bear with me, I hope I am doing this correctly but if not, moderator please let me know :)
So, I have been struggling with this for an age now. I'm tracing my maternal line (my mum was born a Ferguson). My GGG-Grandad was Thomas Ferguson, and GGG-Grandma Mary Ferguson (nee Conway). I am in England and I have managed to locate them both on the 1841 (in Leeds, Yorkshire) and 1851 (in Windle, Lancashire) census. On both those census forms, it is stated that both Thomas and Mary were born in Ireland, but with no county :/ according to those census forms, Thomas was born anywhere between 1807-1811, and Mary anywhere between 1809-1812. I know ages are ambiguous to say the least at these times, so I have been searching for them both from 1800-1820 with no luck. They had several children born in Lancashire (one of which was my GG-Grandad William, b.1838), but their oldest child, Patrick, has a mix of information on his census forms (I know I have the right Patrick on them because of others names and continuation of address etc). On most, he says he was born in various areas of Lancashire, but on one, it says he was born in Cork, Ireland. Great, I thought. Maybe that's where I will find Thomas and/or Mary. NOPE! haha. According to the census forms, he was born anywhere between 1832-1837. I don't know if I am looking for them in the wrong place, but I can't seem to find birth records for Patrick or either of my GGG-grandparents, and nor can I find Marriage details for them. I have found a few Mary Conway's in different areas that might fit, might not, but they are all listed as Prestbytarian, and I'm fairly sure mine were RC as 2 of their children that passed in childhood here in England, were buried in an RC church, and my mum remembers my granddad having his own Rosary beads and telling her that he'd never set foot in a RC church since he married my grandma, as his priest had told him their children would be b******s due to my grandma not being RC...so up until then, the family had been practising RCs. I also find it really weird that I cant find baptism records for any of Mary and Thomas' children, as I'd have thought that being practising RC in the 1800's, they'd have had their kids baptised/confirmed/something.
I'm so sorry for rambling on, I'd be massively grateful if anyone could offer any info on where I'd be best looking or can access any info on irish sites. Thanks so much in advance. Marie x

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FERGUSON & CONWAY (THOMAS & MARY)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,
To me that Co Cork is the only likely lead leading anywhere
from http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=ferguson&firstname=&county=Cork&townland=&parish=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=10   
Surname   Forename   Townland/Street   Parish   County   Year
Ferguson   Lory   Castletownsend   Castlehaven   Cork   1825
Ferguson   Robt   Dungorman   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson   R A   Drummurphy   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson   R   Carnadore   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson   Hugh   Ballyarrel   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson      Ardmore   Timoleague   Cork   1828
Ferguson   Charles   Timoleague   Timoleague   Cork   1828

the above record which is unreliable and biased and normally just a single line journal entry with no mention of other membes of household, remains  an exceptional sources of locating clues

the above shrinks to 7 good clues in 3 civil parishes
Ferguson   Lory [I think this is Rory]Castletownsend Castlehaven Cork1825
Ferguson   R A   Drummurphy   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson   R   Carnadore   Donaghmore   Cork   1833
Ferguson      Ardmore   Timoleague   Cork   1828
Ferguson   CharlesTimoleague   Timoleague   Cork   1828
there are 50 Conway entries m but no matches for living in the same civil parishes as above! I would normally search about up to two civil parish away from one spouse
several other sources exist to follow civil  but I haven’t the knowledge to do that quickly

over 20 years later GV  has civil parish connection only to for Co Cork
Ferguson   Samuel   Toormore   Kilmoe   Cork
Ferguson   John   Arderrawinny   Skull   Cork
Ferguson   James   Chapel Street   Kilmocomoge   Cork
Ferguson   Thomas   Fermoy, King's Square,(Carrignagroghera) Fermoy   Cork
Ferguson   Thomas   Clashadoo   Durrus   Cork
Ferguson   James   Fromreague   Durrus   Cork
this striking the population has moved or disappeared or emmigrated from the first three parishes

earlier the flax growers of Ireland has many in co cork but no Ferguson

many irish families have records of changing denominations regularly  every other generation etc so I wouldn’t judge until found historically proveable.

after the united Irishmen period , the political suspicion of each other continued for evermore, the next reaction was from catholic families feeling victimised by the church of Ireland introducing the tithes applotment books gradually from 1823 onwards and emigrating

I cant help further
 good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide